Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New tools for shop advice needed

New tools for shop advice needed

As some of you know, I recently built a new shop for hobby/leisure use.
    I am ready to pull the trigger on a few new tool to replace older ones. Craigslist has come up empty for the last month with the lone exception of a very nice Jet 6" Jointer for $150.00 with two extra sets of new knives.

I would like opinions on the best bang for the buck on the following:

1. 12.5-13 inch planer
    2. Drill press (floor type)
    3. bandsaw (floor type)

Would also like to hear where you guys are purchasing equipment if not local.

I do not want to say that money is not an issue but it is not the deciding factor. I want tools that i can use in a hobby environment.

Many thanks for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by david graves View Post
    I am ready to pull the trigger on a few new tool to replace older ones. Craigslist has come up empty for the last month with the lone exception of a very nice Jet 6" Jointer for $150.00 with two extra sets of new knives.

1. 12.5-13 inch planer
    3. bandsaw (floor type)

I do not want to say that money is not an issue but it is not the deciding factor. I want tools that i can use in a hobby environment.

As those who have been here a while know, I have had great luck with Grizzly tools. The G0505 planer is a real workin' hoss at a very reasonable price; they have several good drill presses, mine is G7943 bench model. But don't make the mistake I made by getting a bench model. The G7944 is identical except it is a floor model and about a 1000X more versatile. The Grizzly 14" G0555 bandsaw is almost legendary, you can't go wrong. But, do check out the 'X' model of the bandsaw, heavier duty and some extras. More money, of course. Also, Griz has introduced what seem the identical machines except painted white in their Polar Bear line. They even have Grizzly plates on them and share model numbers. They may be less money during the introductory period.
    They also have nice jointers. Mine is an older heavy duty Delta I bought at a garage sale for $50.00.
    Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

1. 12.5-13 inch planer
    3. bandsaw (floor type)

my choices are-
    planer= in your size range is the dewalt 735
    drill press=i have no problem with a bench model and dont see where a floor model
    has that much benefit.
    bandsaw=14" for starters and then go 17 pr 18" most of the smaller ones are
    made in the same place these days so pick out what you want to pay
    and look a the varied differences between them forget the color..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    my choices are-
    planer= in your size range is the dewalt 735
    drill press=i have no problem with a bench model and dont see where a floor model
    has that much benefit.
    bandsaw=14" for starters and then go 17 pr 18" most of the smaller ones are
    made in the same place these days so pick out what you want to pay
    and look a the varied differences between them forget the color..
    +1 on this
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

++ on the above.

Craigslist, garage sales, pawn shops etc are likely to yield a nice drill press. I've had some times when I wish I had a bigger drill press but a lot of that depends what you work on. I just have a benchtop. If I were buying new, I'd probably buy a grizzley, but there's not much difference other than convenience options that I've seen

I got a used jet bandsaw for the same price as a grizzly locally off CL, but it's no better that I can tell from grizzley or a dozen others. Motor size, resaw capacity, and guide type seem to be the main difference in them that I've seen. If it helps, I have a 1 hp motor and 6" resaw on oak seems to be right on the edge of capacity, but soft maple/cherry seem fine at 6". If you plan on a riser block or more resaw height, I'd go with a larger motor. Rikon has a high end 14" bandsaw that looks nice on Amazon, but haven't heard any reviews yet.

Planer - I have the ryobi $200 from HD for about a year now. It works, but I throw away 2.5" on the ends of each board because it snipes like crazy. From reviews I've read, I'd recommend the Dewalt if it's in your budget.

These seem to be some decent deals. Depending where your at it could be a long drive however.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls/1836997502.html

Many thanks for the replies.

I have pretty much settled on the Dewalt DW735 Planer, I already had, just wanted to see if anyone would talk me out of it in favor of another.

It seem the G0555 bandsaw gets the nod here. I will go with that, One question, is G0555X worth the extra expense?

Still undecided on the drill press, I dont want to spend a thousand dollars on one, but 4 or 5 hundred is not out of the question.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Regards,

drill press look for quill length and run out reviews on these. some are better than others and yu could possibly find some good old iron for a cheaper price and much better quality than todays standards on some tools. if you find two save one for me i am looking for another

her eis a decent priced one,, http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,1087.html
    Last edited by larry merlau; 07-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It seem the G0555 bandsaw gets the nod here. I will go with that, One question, is G0555X worth the extra expense?
    I have a 14" bandsaw (Jet). If I was to do it all over again, I would buy a bandsaw that has more of a resaw capacity. For me that would probably be 17" or larger.

The new Grizzly polar series has a 17" bandsaw, the G0513P (2 HP and 12" of height for resaw) for only $698 (not including freight). That sure beats the 6" of resaw capacity of the G0555 or G0555X. 17" is still small enough for general bandsaw work.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I have the Steel City Drill press and 18" bandsaw and really like them both the DP has a 6" travel and I will buy another when I have the room. I use it everyday and haven't had one problem with it in 5 years.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.