New tools for shop advice needed

david graves

As some of you know, I recently built a new shop for hobby/leisure use.
I am ready to pull the trigger on a few new tool to replace older ones. Craigslist has come up empty for the last month with the lone exception of a very nice Jet 6" Jointer for $150.00 with two extra sets of new knives.

I would like opinions on the best bang for the buck on the following:

1. 12.5-13 inch planer
2. Drill press (floor type)
3. bandsaw (floor type)

Would also like to hear where you guys are purchasing equipment if not local.

I do not want to say that money is not an issue but it is not the deciding factor. I want tools that i can use in a hobby environment.

Many thanks for suggestions.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a few new tool to replace older ones. Craigslist has come up empty for the last month with the lone exception of a very nice Jet 6" Jointer for $150.00 with two extra sets of new knives.

1. 12.5-13 inch planer
3. bandsaw (floor type)

I do not want to say that money is not an issue but it is not the deciding factor. I want tools that i can use in a hobby environment.

As those who have been here a while know, I have had great luck with Grizzly tools. The G0505 planer is a real workin' hoss at a very reasonable price; they have several good drill presses, mine is G7943 bench model. But don't make the mistake I made by getting a bench model. The G7944 is identical except it is a floor model and about a 1000X more versatile. The Grizzly 14" G0555 bandsaw is almost legendary, you can't go wrong. But, do check out the 'X' model of the bandsaw, heavier duty and some extras. More money, of course. Also, Griz has introduced what seem the identical machines except painted white in their Polar Bear line. They even have Grizzly plates on them and share model numbers. They may be less money during the introductory period.
They also have nice jointers. Mine is an older heavy duty Delta I bought at a garage sale for $50.00.
Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

1. 12.5-13 inch planer
3. bandsaw (floor type)

my choices are-
planer= in your size range is the dewalt 735
drill press=i have no problem with a bench model and dont see where a floor model
has that much benefit.
bandsaw=14" for starters and then go 17 pr 18" most of the smaller ones are
made in the same place these days so pick out what you want to pay
and look a the varied differences between them forget the color..

my choices are-
planer= in your size range is the dewalt 735
drill press=i have no problem with a bench model and dont see where a floor model
has that much benefit.
bandsaw=14" for starters and then go 17 pr 18" most of the smaller ones are
made in the same place these days so pick out what you want to pay
and look a the varied differences between them forget the color..

+1 on this

++ on the above.

Craigslist, garage sales, pawn shops etc are likely to yield a nice drill press. I've had some times when I wish I had a bigger drill press but a lot of that depends what you work on. I just have a benchtop. If I were buying new, I'd probably buy a grizzley, but there's not much difference other than convenience options that I've seen

I got a used jet bandsaw for the same price as a grizzly locally off CL, but it's no better that I can tell from grizzley or a dozen others. Motor size, resaw capacity, and guide type seem to be the main difference in them that I've seen. If it helps, I have a 1 hp motor and 6" resaw on oak seems to be right on the edge of capacity, but soft maple/cherry seem fine at 6". If you plan on a riser block or more resaw height, I'd go with a larger motor. Rikon has a high end 14" bandsaw that looks nice on Amazon, but haven't heard any reviews yet.

Planer - I have the ryobi $200 from HD for about a year now. It works, but I throw away 2.5" on the ends of each board because it snipes like crazy. From reviews I've read, I'd recommend the Dewalt if it's in your budget.

Many thanks for the replies.

I have pretty much settled on the Dewalt DW735 Planer, I already had, just wanted to see if anyone would talk me out of it in favor of another.

It seem the G0555 bandsaw gets the nod here. I will go with that, One question, is G0555X worth the extra expense?

Still undecided on the drill press, I dont want to spend a thousand dollars on one, but 4 or 5 hundred is not out of the question.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Regards,

It seem the G0555 bandsaw gets the nod here. I will go with that, One question, is G0555X worth the extra expense?

I have a 14" bandsaw (Jet). If I was to do it all over again, I would buy a bandsaw that has more of a resaw capacity. For me that would probably be 17" or larger.

The new Grizzly polar series has a 17" bandsaw, the G0513P (2 HP and 12" of height for resaw) for only $698 (not including freight). That sure beats the 6" of resaw capacity of the G0555 or G0555X. 17" is still small enough for general bandsaw work.

That steel city DP sounds nice, I might look into that.

Bandsaw - from the experience I've had on my Jet, 1hp seems to be enough to do the 6" resaw. I'd either stay with the G0555, or jump up to something with 10-12" resaw and 2-3hp like the 17" bandsaw. Kind of depends on what you want to do with it.

Last edited:
David i will answer on the bandsaw x version. I dont have the Grizzly but i do have the same size bandsaw in Delta config. The extra 1/2 hp on the motor is worth the extra money alone in my opinion. Then you have the light which is about $20 when you add it later and the enclosed base which i think adds to stability and easier to clean around. Especially if you gonna put it on a mobile base.

But think of what the guys have said regarding the 17" units because you still will need to add a riser to get to the 14" resaw ability and thats gonna be an additional $70. So you get closer to $700 then and a 17" is in the $800's. This is Grizzlys excellent marketing.:D Tough choice.

Deside if you gonna resaw and how much? If not at all or unlikely then go back all the way down to the one with no X and save hundreds.:) Put the savings towards the DP.

I am also in favor of the DW735 planer.

As to drill presses, i have a bench model and i am not sure i agree with Larry. I would like the drill press to be free standing so i can get longer pieces under the drill clamped to the table rotated at 90 degree.

Also i would look for a Dp that is designed for woodworking. Yup they brought out this kind now just cannot remember who is is that has done it at the moment. But it has more room in the distance between the drill point and the suporting post. When you finished putting a fence etc in that space then it narrows down what you can get under it to drill. Run out is another major thing i will want to check for before i take delivery of my next DP. I wont have it delivered. They will have to show me in the store or i will not buy. ( you can guess why). :)

Thanks Ron,

I did come close to purchasing the 17" from grizzly this morning, but I got to thinking (dangerous , I know) about the re-saw. As you suggested, I do not plan on any re-saw work of wide boards.
With that said, I decided to wait a couple of days before I order anything and not buy to quickly.
As of now, the only thing I am set on is the Planer.

Regards,

David, it is a good idea to take some time and not let the excitement of the situation rush you into a decision. I do not know what type of woodworking you anticipate doing and without that information, it is hard to accurately help you in your decisions. Tool selection should be dictated by what you are making. That being said, most of us have generally error-ed on undersized or lessor quality purchases that we have regretted later. Seldom have I heard of a woodworking saying they bought too large or a better quality of tool than they needed. It has happen, but not too often.

I lean more to hand tool work now, but when it comes to machines, I have learned two "truths" for me:

1. Cabinet tablesaw over a contractor saw (for power & precision reasons)
2. Largest band-saw I can afford (within reason)

I am not really concerned about large jointer's or planers, because of my handtools and I think what you are leaning toward is very reasonable and adequate. My choices are based on working with hardwoods as opposed to sheet goods. A more powerful tablesaw would allow me to rip thicker material easier and the larger band-saw would save a lot of wood that would normally be wasted by a planer. 6" resaw capacity is very limiting in building panels for most applications without having to plane away a lot of wood. Resawing also opens up the possibility of using matching panels.

In making your tool selection, you need to stretch your mind to where your woodworking path will lead you and not allow your decisions today limit where you can go. Hard to do, I understand, especially when you throw in the economic constraints all these decision need to be tempered with.

...As you suggested, I do not plan on any re-saw work of wide boards...

I made a very similar statement a few years ago. Boy, was I wrong. :D In my case, I tend to use the 12" depth of my saw for cutting turning blanks, but I've used it more times than I can count for resawing lumber, too.

I bought the typical 14" cast iron bandsaw with riser (12" capacity...Rob was mistaken when he mentioned 14" resaw capacity above), but if I were doing it all over again, I'd probably go with a larger steel framed saw. I can continue to live with the 12" depth, but I'd like to have more horsepower. More depth wouldn't break my heart, either. ;)

You guys are killing me. I keep going back and forth on the darn bandsaw.
Let me put the question to you like this: If you had $1,000.00 to spend on a bandsaw, what would you buy.

My present uses include Custom Gunstocks and other small projects. I do use a lot of sheet goods for flatwork projects, but I also have a good source for a ton of roughsawn white oak that has been stacked and stickered for 12-13 years in a barn.

Regards,

Let me put the question to you like this: If you had $1,000.00 to spend on a bandsaw, what would you buy.

My present uses include Custom Gunstocks and other small projects. I do use a lot of sheet goods for flatwork projects, but I also have a good source for a ton of roughsawn white oak that has been stacked and stickered for 12-13 years in a barn.

Regards,

Bear in mind, i am not saying i need to spend one thousand, but if that is what it takes, i dont have a problem with it.

Regards,

Go for the most cast iron you can afford. By that I mean, if you can afford it, get cast iron trunnions and wheels. None of that is necessary, but you said $1,000 and for that amount you can get it. I am thinking Grizzly G05132X. I don't own one, and I do not own any Grizzly machinery, but I stop by there all the time for other items and always do a walk around. Seems very stout to me. Maybe others can say how good of a bandsaw it is.