cross for my church

Frank Fusco

I recently joined a new church. New both in the sense it has only recently formed and I officially joined about two weeks ago.
The cross behind the alter was, IMHO, an unattractive wire thing that came from a discount store. We needed better. So after our pastor accepted my offer to make one, I did.
It is made from walnut with ash in the center for accent. It stands 3' tall.
This was a fairly simple project with only one real challenge for me.
Cutting the half-lap was not something I looked forward to doing. I had to use the table saw and I always look for alternate methods before turning on the vicious 'grand dad finger eliminator'. To make the multiple cuts for the rebate I had to stand directly over the blade and look down to see where my cut was taking place. I didn't like doing that. But, a wise expert told me that is the best way to do it. He has a beard so he has to be wise and knowledgeable. ;)
After the cuts I had to clean up with Neander techniques.
I also learned just how valuable a jointer is in a shop. Those long glue-ups would not have been accurate any other way. (Neanders need not speak up at this time. ;) )
I glued together with Titebond II and put some flat head screws in back for good measure.
Finished with rattle can poly.

Attachments

• glued up.jpg
    glued up.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 42
  • pieces.jpg
    pieces.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 43
  • half lap.jpg
    half lap.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 41
  • cross completed.jpg
    cross completed.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 63
Frank I like it. I have to do one for my church but I need to also hide the snake(sound system ) with it..

I hope it ends up 1/2 as nice as yours....
Garry

Last edited: