Wooden Handles for Flyrods

Thanks Darren. You just made the project list that much longer.:D:thumb: Great article thanks for sharing. Before i make one i want to get out and use my rods more. That would success on its own regardless of the handles. :rofl:

nice looking handles darren but i thought that cork was preferred handle materail? i know you dont need sensitivity so much on a fly rod but the feel or grip would be slippery on a wood handle right?

I've often looked at my spinning reel poles and thought I'd like to replace the handles with some custom made wood ones. I'm not sure how to successfully remove the existing ones. Been thinking about buying one at a yard sale (cheap) and giving it a try. I don't know why I want to do this. I never go fishing anymore. I buy the license and think about it but I never seem to get there. Nice article, thanks for posting it.

I'm printing that article, looks like a great tut.
When I first started the spinny nonsense I went to the only fly rod shop in the area (not counting Wal-Mart ;) ) and told the owner I could, and would, make fly rod handles for sale in his shop. He said his customers would not pay big money for handles and suggested I give up on the idea. Which I did. We now have several upscale fly shops in the area and this post has revived my interest in pursuing the idea. Plus, as the article stated, stabilized wood is best, even great, for handles. Guess wat :D I have a stabilizing set up. :thumb: Darren, thanks for posting this. I'll betcha a lot of our members here could take advantage of this idea.
BTW, my part of the country is some of the best fly fishing anywhere. Y'all come.

No problem all...thought someone might find it interesting.

Larry, I'm sure one could also turn cork as part of the glue-up of the pattern, might need to drill the shaft hole first and turned on a temporary shaft, much like you would a pen for stability while turning. :dunno:

Hmmm, I've got some fishing rods that could use some new handles... Never really liked the pistol grip style anyway...

I just finished reading the entire tut. Very good but a tad confusing to someone not familiar with the details of what a fly rod looks like. Having one in hand while reading would help a lot. I did come up with an idea for the glue up clamping that might help. Delrin rod won't stick to glues, no way, no how. And it is machinable. One could thread the ends of the rod and make larger, tapped, handles for the clamping. After glue dries, just pull out, no pounding.
And, I noticed, making sectioned handles might actually be easier than in a single piece. Drilling holes apx. a foot deep is always tricky. With sections you can drill each piece easily then glue up. That even makes a more interesting handle plus you can save and use scraps.
With my stabilizing set up available, that will help even more. I'll drill, rough turn the stable. Should be good.

Hey Frank I was thinking what about a split down the middle then rout the groove on either half of the blank to fit the rod but. Then glue together even can put a fancy color piece of wood in the middle like say maple and paduk or Chery maple. That would put the hole in for the rod nicely no? Could even taper the hole that way by lifting one end of the blank.

Half of me is somewhat skeptical though. Just like Larry says fly rods the world over have been cork forever. Way i remember it has something to do with being a damper to vibration. But i aint sure.

As to selling them this way, well you have to overcome the tradditionalist in flyfisherman. Some of the flyfishing fraternity are pretty fussy.

Hey Frank I was thinking what about a split down the middle then rout the groove on either half of the blank to fit the rod but. Then glue together even can put a fancy color piece of wood in the middle like say maple and paduk or Chery maple. That would put the hole in for the rod nicely no? Could even taper the hole that way by lifting one end of the blank.

Half of me is somewhat skeptical though. Just like Larry says fly rods the world over have been cork forever. Way i remember it has something to do with being a damper to vibration. But i aint sure.

As to selling them this way, well you have to overcome the tradditionalist in flyfisherman. Some of the flyfishing fraternity are pretty fussy.

And, some of them just like spending money on fancy, status stuff. I'll be after the upscale guys who like to flash their platinum cards. Purists are welcome also but won't be my focus.

If the handles aren't cork then where do you stick the hook on your line when you are done fishin ??? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually Frank, that might be worth thinking about. Maybe incorporating Cork as part of the handle? Or maybe having some kind of feature you build into the handle to be able to put the hook...

I've read on the Intarwebs that the tool of choice for turning cork rod handles is the 80 grit gouge. It's my understanding the cork tears away too easily, even with very sharp tools, but sandpaper makes quick work of it. So if you did a mixed cork/wood handle, I'd guess you could turn the wood parts with conventional tools, then shape the cork parts to match with the sandpaper. :huh:

BTW, I always thought the reason for cork in the grip was to make it float if you ever dropped the rod in the water. Has anyone else heard that?

I've read on the Intarwebs that the tool of choice for turning cork rod handles is the 80 grit gouge. It's my understanding the cork tears away too easily, even with very sharp tools, but sandpaper makes quick work of it. So if you did a mixed cork/wood handle, I'd guess you could turn the wood parts with conventional tools, then shape the cork parts to match with the sandpaper. :huh:

BTW, I always thought the reason for cork in the grip was to make it float if you ever dropped the rod in the water. Has anyone else heard that?

Every time I dropped my rod when I was a kid the weight of the reel would make it sink. :eek:

Good question. I'll ask an expert.
But, I have always thought leaving a hook on when finished with fishing was bad form. Like leaving a round in the chamber after a hunting trip.

You're probably right but not quite as dangerous as a loaded rifle:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I had so many petrified worms stuck on hooks on my handle that I could just drop them in the water and the fish would fight to see who was first into my frying pan :rofl:
Used to go next door to the farmer and dig through his manure pile for worms :)

I've turned several cork pens. It is easy to turn, but I think there are many types or grades of cork. The more compressed the better. I turned it with a sharp spindle gouge. I also (learned, from a fly rod maker) to use the mesh that they sand drywall with. It works great. Takes it down fast.

Good question. I'll ask an expert.
But, I have always thought leaving a hook on when finished with fishing was bad form. Like leaving a round in the chamber after a hunting trip.

The one I have that my dad made me has a metal loop just before the handle put the hook on when not in use or walking around with the poll. Might be safer to remove it when done, but never have...fish or rock usually does that for me and then I call it quits. :) :rofl: :rofl: