Chukar Anyone?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
This is from a couple of days ago.

1 mama chukar came down with at least 40 juveniles to show them where the bird feeder is...

I guess the rest of the mama's are sitting on more baby chukar...

attachment.php

Attachments

• chukarjuvies.jpg
    chukarjuvies.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 72
I was so happy to see them show up.

They usually come down between mid-May and mid-Jun, but with the extra cold spring, I guess they had their babies a little late.

I love to tell my hunting buddies who find them to be the most elusive bird, that they feed off of my bird feeders (and I have hunted them in the past and they are very tough on you).

Our problem is that we like them so much we keep our home area as a closed zone... That way we get to see more quail and chukar. In all my hikes behind the house, I've never scared up any coveys of quail or seen any flocks of chukar. The only time I ever see them is about 10 feet away from my office window.....

Will have to look this one up, i aint ever heard of them. All i can say is you spoilt with the variety of wild animals you got around you and i am green with envy.:D;)

I am limited to my wild rabbit and maybe the neighbors cat besides the resident robins that decided my shed and weather station belong to them.:D

Brent I am guessing these birds are still imature and dont have the distinct lines yet right?

Last edited:
Yep, this years crop of juveniles. They are still pretty grey all over.

The adults are pretty colorful, and about twice the size of a quail, I'd guess.

We had a bunch of baby quail around as well.

Our problem is that we like them so much we keep our home area as a closed zone... That way we get to see more quail and chukar. In all my hikes behind the house, I've never scared up any coveys of quail or seen any flocks of chukar. The only time I ever see them is about 10 feet away from my office window.....

smart birds! :rolleyes:

The only hunting I do these days is Quail. I have a fantastic dog and lots of hunting acres..... just not too many birds....

the good news is that after about a 15 year population drop, the coveys are getting bigger and more frequent while hunting.

My cousins daughter and her school actually won some kind of contest that got them a trip to Disney for their project "Save The Quail". They live in SE Iowa.

I grew up hunting pheasants and quail in Iowa. Had a little brittany spaniel that was the most rambunctious, out of control dog in town, but was a natural at hunting pheasants quail and retrieving...

I really need to go hunting this fall.... :doh:

She's a nut.

She will chase the birds like crazy.

The big problem is she's convinced the rabbits are out to get her, and we've got a bumper crop of rabbits this year. Let her out to go and she starts "WooooWoooWooooWoooooWooooo"ing to warn those dangerous critters to stay away. This dog is seriously brain damaged... :eek:

But she is awfully cute... :rofl: :thumb:

smart birds! :rolleyes:

The only hunting I do these days is Quail. I have a fantastic dog and lots of hunting acres..... just not too many birds....

the good news is that after about a 15 year population drop, the coveys are getting bigger and more frequent while hunting.

Illinois nearly runied all it's hunting. First with sever gun restrictions, then the change to 'clean' farming. There was no where for small game to hide and breed. And, to a much greater extent, population growth and housing development. I used to hunt pheasants in a corn field about a mile from my house. One day I went there and the corn was gone. All I could see was black dirt and bulldozers.
Glad to hear things might be improving again.