Shop expansion???

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Well my ole' buddy Larry was over last week checkin up on me and my progress and put an idea in my head:rolleyes: Talking over the fact that my shop does not offer a lot of assembly space, I NEED MORE ROOM:eek: Well we inspect my basement (where my shop is) and re-evaluate the space I have an area that I was going to put in a bar, do I need a bar:dunno: NO I need more shop space:) so attached are 2 pdf's the first is my shop as is and the second is the proposed expanded shop. So let me know what ya think, should I spread my wings and expand or live with what I have:)

Attachments

• Existing Shop.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Shop Expansion.pdf
    124 KB · Views: 147
What! Do you really think someone is going to say don't expand???? And that big round thing between you and Larry, does it come with a tap?

Just a being serious for a moment, put the compressor (and all other noisy stuff in the other room). You can always run a line over to the assembly table. Also build a real handtool workbench for that room.

Last edited:
the round table uses glass bottles these days.. easier to conceal:) but actually i do think could use some more room and maybe his exiting layout isnt nessecaryly got the right pieces in the right place in the new model.. one thing i see but maybe he has it under control is to have enough room to break down sheet goods and long lumber.. sometimes we need to look at flow tom.. in one way and out the other if we can. anything that can fit in small space needs to be ther the bigger stuff needs more room sometimes.. and i agree wit bill on the noisy stuff bury it behind a wall if you can.. the compressor can easily stay in the garage and just run piping to get your air where yu want it.. just run a water trap setup and use it..

hey we get turned around enough together with out adding a spinny thing in the works.. the ahll way chuck is a laundry area in the behind area.. so he cant have that space.. but he does need more room he gettun to big fer his britches now:)

Why is there a large dust collector and a portable? Get more floor space and reduce the noise level and put the dust collector in the storage room. Of course I am assuming running lines is possible.

Yep laundry, furnace and storage in the "hallway" so sorry no room there for a lathe:rolleyes: The compressor is just a little pancake compressor for the nailers the big compressor is in the garage and some day will pipe into the shop. The main assembly bench will be a full woodworking bench with vices and the goodies:) the layout is going to be a work in progress to get right so I will be listening to all of your ideas as the best setup:thumb:

Why is there a large dust collector and a portable? Get more floor space and reduce the noise level and put the dust collector in the storage room. Of course I am assuming running lines is possible.

They are both basically portable Dan just one is on wheels. I don't think either is large enough to pipe (they are both 1hp) someday I would like one large enough to pipe thru out the shop:)