Shop expansion???

Any good red neck knows that the washer and dryer belong out on the front porch.:thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh boy I can just imagine the town and my NN if i did that.:rofl:

Tom just how much wood you got stored there that you have a whole room for it? But then i forgot how close you live to Larry.;):D

I am watching the comments with great interest.:thumb: Guess the new shop aint expecting too many visitors eh?:)

Is the furnance and HWH dead center in the basement? Can't think why else you'd put up with that big section right there with the walls around it. A HWH can be moved without too much fuss, but a furnace is staying put!

Do the stairs come down in the top-left corner, or do they go the other way? I'm trying to envision which is the way into the shop. Either way it looks like you take a hard-turn when you enter the shop. That can't be easy for getting wood in and out. My basement shop is like that also -- hence sheet goods is not an issue at all. They are ALWAYS cut at least once before it comes down the stairs.

As a hobbiest, I usually only have one or two things on the go, so I don't see the sense in a dedicated finishing room. I just clean the shop and finish right there.

Also +1 on the comments about moving the DC farther away to remove the noise.

Noise

Hi,

My hearing is getting really lousy. When I think of all of the loud sounds I could have avoided, but didn't, I could cry. One of my mostly deaf friends said, "I would rather be blind than deaf. I am left out of everything now because I cannot enter into the conversations, etc.".

Personally I think that is a bit drastic. However, Al's life was always people oriented, whereas I like woodworking and a gillion other hobbies I can do alone if needed. But Lord I do miss being able to understand people easily.

Get rid of the Noise. I built a shed outside of the shop. We call it the "Outhouse." Its primary function is to house the air comp and the DC.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Get rid of the noise and Enjoy,

Jim

Art, I will fill in where the furnace, hot water heater, laundry, stair directions and re-post the pdf's. I didn't think of that cause I know where they are. If I want help ya all need to know where they are:p:) Thanks all for the comments so far, this for me is fun:D:thumb:

I couldn't open the files Tom. Anyway you can open and post them in the thread? Sounds like you got "the man" to help you. I offerred and never made it up to help Larry, when you get around to moving or tearing out or building, I am up for a day or weekend to help as long as it is after Fina's wedding. How's the kitchen coming along? I don't want to bring Lou Ann if you got yours done!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well here they are again with the mechanicals added:) Jon don't you have Adobe Acrobat? if not it is a free download:thumb: What would work for you I can save in a format that you can view:)

Attachments

• Existing Shop.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Shop Expansion.pdf
    138.8 KB · Views: 36
Tom the one thing i see that surely you would not want in a finishing room is the grinder. I am thinking grinding dust residue all over the show does surely not help in the finishing process. Is there a door on this room?

Where is the barley pop fridge?

Or is running up the stairs for a fresh one considered appropriate weight reduction or cardiac exercise for you and Larry? ;)

Where is the barley pop fridge?

Or is running up the stairs for a fresh one considered appropriate weight reduction or cardiac exercise for you and Larry? ;)

Old Tom is pretty smart, he made his walls out of beer cans...full ones.

Only problem is everytime Larry comes to visit, he has a new door!

Last edited:
Tom,

I would expand if I were you. I made my shop bigger last year and it is so nice to have room and not trip over myself. I even made room for a lathe and all the shavings that go with it.

I throw a dosey of a one at ya. What if you move the saws, planer , jointer, dust collectors and other machines to the area you have proposed as your assembly area. Make the assembly area where your machines are at. It Makes for a nice work flow and keeps the dust further away from your finishing. Maybe even rework the walls a little as neccesary.

Do you have a way to put dimensions on your proposed shop layouts?

Loml just asked what I was comenting on and I showed her and she even agrees the work flow would be better if you swapped your assembly and machine areas around.

Last edited:
those poles in the middle that support the house are (I believe) called lollie poles?
I think Alan is right about gotta know the dimensions.
How big is the wood storage area? How big is the finishing room?
I dont know how much wood you store or how much floor space your using for the storage area.
I have approx 2000 give or take 100 bf of wood in my garage.
IF you dont have more than that, I would build storage along the top edges of all the walls in the basement. Keep your tools and supplies on shelves underneath the wood, but since most of the time the wood is only stored and not accessed every day, it needs to take up the least useful space in a restricted area shop.(this is only my view on things)The top 1 or 2 feet below the basement ceiling with either store bought or homemade arms extending 16-18 inches off the walls would hold alot of wood, freeing up the floor space you use for wood storage.
Then Id move the finish room away from the far end, move it next to the stairs, move your assembly tables and junk the table and stools marked tom and larry.
Place all your equipment in one large working area, positioned the most important next to each other, like jointer and planer close to each other, table and crosscut , use the length of the crosscut table to house your small machines, if they arent used alot, if they are, just build the crosscut bench further out and house the machines there. Open the shop to one large area, dump the walls, just one one side where the finish room would be. Ok, Im going to pack.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan and Allen, I will put the dimensions on them tomorrow. I also agree that the machine room and assembly room should be switched but most likely won't. the laundry is down there and the loml does not want to walk thru the dust with clean clothes and I want her happy since she has given me the go ahead to take over the area for the expansion:D:thumb:

Well I can't switch the assembly and machine rooms around even thou it makes TOTAL sense work flow wise. My current shop in below the bedrooms and the new assembly room will be below the living room. So due to noise during the day or evening, the machines can not go below the living room. when the loml is in the living room and I am in the shop, she can hardly hear anything:thumb: