Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finish samples

finish samples

hey had a thought yup i been thinkun after running across a previous piece i finished and didnt write down the mix for it i got to thinkun that perhaps we could start a recipe thread, of what we did and the coats and the final out come with a good close up to get the best color we can.. i am not tryun to copy "homesteads" idea here, just using his thoughts and my thoughts to get a base for some different color or finish approaches kinda complied into one spot.
    what yu say sound logical or bad idea?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I like it Larry.

Great idea
    Faith, Hope & Charity

This would be a great idea. I absolutely have a tough time trying to keep track of the different finishes the guys mention. For someone that aint getting round to it as frequent as Allen I find that only when i actually do whatever it is that i see here do i learn. Just reading about it does not seem to help when it comes to finishes.

So a recipe place would be great. I just cant add a thing to it. Except my use of wipe on poly
    cheers

I like it too. I run sample boards and generally only pick one final color. For all I know there may be a couple colors in there that would be helpful for someone else; or maybe even me at some future date. May as well share 'em.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I 4 one usualy us the same ole finish protocal so anything I post will be kinda boring.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

im in.............great idea
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

well then we can start anytime either in a new thread or here i can change the title to reflect recipies and we can be off to the races.
    some suggestions would be the sample board and the mix or steps to get there and possibly a pic of the piece to show final outcome..and don your 3part clear finish is one setup that can be shown as well, just have your wife take the pics your camara phone has some draw backs

Sounds cool Larry, I have formulas for this and that. I've saved a bunch over the years.
    Faux wood gaining
    Faux painting
    Stainning Crackling

An assortment for various medal gilding acid application.

Larry, I thought this was the only woodworking site; i am not tryun to copy "homesteads" idea here, just using his thoughts and my thoughts to get a base for some different color or finish approaches kinda complied into one spot.

Ya no, when I do a search for a site I look to see the over all content, as the Lord if this is a good place. I either move on or drop my bag. So I am not sure who you were talking about {homesteads} Thats a good produce farm little ways from here where you can pick your own. LOL
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

dave i was referring to "homestead finishing" jeff jewitts site. a very well know finisher and supplier of quality products. we are just tryun tot help our group here in the search for a good finish and how someone got there.