Protip: Sealing Wood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a tip for you guys...

If you're resting a chunk of wood on the edge of a 5 gallon bucket of green wood sealer as you paint the wax on the wood, don't drop the wood into the bucket.

And just as importantly, as you're lifting the slippery, wax-slathered chunk of wood out of the bucket, don't drop the dang thing in there again.
baldy.gif

Skully%27s%20Firewood%20-%2007%20800.jpg

Let's just say my face won't be getting any cracks for a while.

Skully%27s%20Firewood%20-%2008%20800.jpg

The stuff don't taste too bad, though.
lmao.gif

Yeah, fortunately most of it ended up on the plastic I had put down to catch the drips. I was able to pour about a quart of sealer back into the bucket. I'll probably just use the pressure washer to clean the places where I didn't have the plastic, although I got the bulk of it mopped up with paper towels. Thank goodness the splash missed her car, just a few feet away. Even though it would wash off OK, I'd have been a dead man. :p

I called LOML out to see what had happened. (I was surprised she didn't hear me demonstrating new curse word combinations for the neighbors.) Her words, and I quote..."Another job well done, Hon." :rolleyes: I love that woman. She came out to the shop a bit later to tell me she was getting ready to take her shower, and she had put splotches of white sun screen all over her face. I think she was mocking me. :rofl:

never tasted it vaughhn but have had the sam slippery events.. i know have a table set up out side that has holes in it and i use a roller rather than dunking if you do the dunking a screw in it with a rope works ok but the roller is the ticket ..and that stuff doesnt was off well with cold water.

She came out to the shop a bit later to tell me she was getting ready to take her shower, and she had put splotches of white sun screen all over her face. I think she was mocking me. :rofl:

You only think? :rofl:

Part of a dad's job is to mock his kids and keep them humble.
Part of a wife's job... well you can finish the sentence.

Larry, I wasn't trying to dunk it. I was balancing it on the rim of the bucket with one hand while I brushed the sealer on with the other. That way all the drips would fall back into the buck and keep the mess to a minimum. That plan really worked well, huh? :doh:

You're right about the cold water, though. I had to use hot water and dish detergent to get my glasses clean enough to see through again.

Hey, I think we've got that same type of stamped concrete out front of our house. Not as nicely decorated with chunks of wood, or sealed with wood sealer, but similar... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you need a rack out of a fridge or a stove to set on the bucket
and you need to take your eye glasses in for a cleaning

Hey Vaughn I really feel for ya on that one, but think on the positive note that you didn't knock the bucket over in your attempt to catch the chunk and your glass's didn't fall into the bucket and noi one was around to see it happen.

I’m not laughing, Vaughn. I have days like that where you just wanna sit down and cry. The problem is, the older I get, the more days like that I seem to have.

I was laughing more than cursing, Chuck. My primary reaction was as Bruce said...what a waste. :rolleyes:

I also noticed the other day that the bark on the wood I was sealing (a mystery log I got in the club raffle) is nice and tight...perfect for a bark-edged bowl, if it didn't have wax soaked into the bark. :rolleyes: And of the four pieces I was sealing, the one that got dunked was the biggest chunk. :doh: I still may try a NE bowl out of it, and use a heat gun and paper towels to try to get the wax out of the bark.

Her words, and I quote..."Another job well done, Hon." :rolleyes: I love that woman. She came out to the shop a bit later to tell me she was getting ready to take her shower, and she had put splotches of white sun screen all over her face. I think she was mocking me. :rofl:

With that kind of response, I think I love her too and I have never even met her.

I give you all kinds of credit Vaughn---when you do something you really do it well.

Enjoy,

Jim