Dining Room Table Design

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So starting to think about the table design. Originally was going to go craftsman, but found a design for the benches I really like. (from the Sept/Oct 2009 issue of FWW).

Ignore the chair for now, I might have to come up with something different for that later.

Anyhow, just wanted to see what kind of suggestions you guys might have for the table design.

Not 100% sold on it so far, but I will be milling up some lumber for the base this weekend.

attachment.php

Attachments

• diningtabledesignidea.jpg
    diningtabledesignidea.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 74
benchs are fine and the table is close, i dont think you should have the cross supports showing as you have it drawn, it looks wrong to me, like a mistake that you decided to live with..i would keep them back so they dont show, not sure if i would do the rabet for them either might just anchor threw them to the top in some way to allow for movement. just my observations brent:D

I'm thinking of tapering the edges under the top back a bit as well.

Was going for the dovetailed cleat method of attaching the top. Was in the August 2010 issue of FWW.

Hmmm, I'm thinking maybe I need to make a mockup to make sure I like it.

It would be a lot easier to just have a few bolts in slots and a threaded insert to attach the top.... :huh:

I agree with Glenn. I dont think your sketchup image does justice to the design idea you are imitating from the FWW mag pictures. In the magazine they show the part as a design element and it adds to the richness of the overall piece.

Here is a link to the article I dont have membership anymore so its hard to see the picture maybe a scan of the pic from the mag will help convey the thought.

BTW i am not sure it goes with those legs. I like the legs though.

I dont think your sketchup image does justice to the design idea you are imitating from the FWW mag pictures. In the magazine they show the part as a design element and it adds to the richness of the overall piece.
I hear you. Working on the sketchup a bit more The top needs to have some sort of edge treatment, and the cleats should mimic that.

BTW i am not sure it goes with those legs. I like the legs though.
Kind of thinking that too. I like the dovetailed cleat idea, but it might be a little too ambitious for this project.

I think if i did do the dovetail clear, I agree with Glenn, it should be echoed on the benches...