Small Shop (g-a-r-a-g-e) Tour 1of2

Mike Jory

I thought I'd submit a couple pics of my half garage shop. Not as small as some I've seen, but eventually able to accomplish the task. Everything except the workbench and lathe are on wheels. l'll try to comment from left to right.
First; is the space to right after entering from the house. Forground a thickness planer next to the gun safe. Background a tool chest.
Next; left of that my son's 66 Mustang project. In the distance alot of finishing supplies.
Third; Even the with the garage door open, a not so great pic of a TS with a router extension. Workmate underneath. And 6" jointer.

Just beyong the TS is the workbench, bought the top, made the legs and the under shelf for storage of spindle sander and small router & table. On top, also seen in the next shot is a cherry table top glue up I'm working on. Sometimes the table stays covered. Table double as a outfeed table for the TS.
Behind the bench, a DC and bench along the wall. Under that, more storage, are air tools, hand tools, circ saw, biscuit jointer, etc. Band saw in the distance.
Last, a better pic of the TS, and 6" jointer. TS has a mobile base and a shelf for storage with a DC pipe right through the center. I've closed off the back for slightly better dust collection. It works until I tilt the saw.

Attachments

• Shop 2 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 2 (700 x 525).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Shop 3 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 3 (700 x 525).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Shop 1 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 1 (700 x 525).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Shop 5 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 5 (700 x 525).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Shop 6 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 6 (700 x 525).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Shop 7 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 7 (700 x 525).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Small Shop (g-a-r-a-g-e) Tour 2of2

This is the second set of pics. I hope this makes sense.
First; A small walking space behind the workbench, a second bench along the wall, 2 grinders and a mortiser, some sharpening stones. The shelves have a lot of turning supplies, pens, stoppers, pepper mills, etc. Some clamps in the distance.
Next; The drill press sandwitched next to the freezer and some clamps mounted behind.
Third; A shot of the Jet 1236 lathe and tool rack. There's some turning blanks and wood stock under the rack. Mounted is a large piece of cherry for a table center column. At the spindle end, I'm building a jig to rout flat spots, then sliding dove tails for the three legs. THe edge of the band saw table can barely be seen.
The tall photo is a rolling tool chest burried in the corner.
Next is a not so good photo entering the shop off the house. Last is a front on pic of the lathe and some wood storage beneth. There is about 300 lbs of bricks and a couple bags of concret. Wraped to aid in cleanup,and keep the concret dust away.
As always, I'd be interested in all comments, observations.
Thanks for looking,
Mike

Attachments

• Shop 12 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 12 (700 x 525).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Shop 11 (700 x 933).jpg
    Shop 11 (700 x 933).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 62
  • Shop 10 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 10 (700 x 525).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Shop 9 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 9 (700 x 525).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 67
  • Shop 8 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 8 (700 x 525).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Shop 13 (700 x 525).jpg
    Shop 13 (700 x 525).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
From one who also works in a small space, I emphathize. Looks like you have done a good job with what space you have to work with. And, it looks like you actually USE your shop. :thumb: I am very suspicious of these shop pictures that are cleaner than an operating room.
Now, if you can get your kid's car out of there.......;)

Mike that is really a neat space, a bit crowded, but I know about that :rolleyes:

Tell the kid to get that 66 stang out of the way :D I imagine it is actually a 66 1/2 right?

Nice old arn of a different sort.

Cheers!

Frank, Stuart;
Yes, the area where the car is would expand the shop nicely. Room for the tools without playing jig saw puzzle, and for a larger lathe and the disk sander I've been salivating over.
Yes I'd like to see the Mustang at least run on it's own. My 23 (B-Day this week) yr. old son is in Paramedic school to be a Firefighter. While working 50 hours plus per week as a EMT, it doesn't allow much time for the "Rust-Stang" Although to date we've machined and bored the block, new heads, new disk breaks all around, new rear end. No drive shaft cut yet, so he runs the motor once a month while it on stands.
Thanks for the replies.
Mike