How big is too big...for a shop?

How big is too big...for a shop?

Must be a trick question.....

However as others have said one shop is not enough, Your metalworking and woodworking shops should really be separated. And a Car garage with a lift would sure be nice. Then a Ham shack and maybe an office.....Hey maybe you need to add onto that barn...

i would use the small section for the shop area and have your relative set the other part up for a individual storage area. no feed cost, no manure hauling and just rent coming in your pocket. you can also put your wifes offic in there the small are if there is enough room, for both of you darren.. nice set up hope it works out..but no horse anything:thumb::thumb:

wow jon, dont hold back, tell us like it is., Dont sugar coat it either.
Interesting prospective looking at it like that. Not something Id ever care to deal with, cause being in retail(for 35 years), people can be very rude, cruel, obnoxious, callous, etc....so I really get your drift.

As much as I love owning/riding/using my horses, my experiences with horse people that "rent" stalls, is not positive. I have never done it, had a stall in a barn and kept a horse there for a few weeks. First of all, renting a stall to this type of people is, "they own the property and will use it as they see fit, after all they paid rent!". They smoke in the barns. Visit their horses once a month. Pay their bills sometimes. Litter. Steal. Visit at all times of day. Bring many people with them. Need a bathroom. Need a phone. Need feed storage. Need places to dump horse manure. They don't water their horses or they leave the water on. Their horse gets loose and gets hurt, they want you to pay. The list is endless. I would not base a mortgage payment on horse stall rent. My dad always said he could tell how the economy or the family was doing based on what was in the backyard. A horse for everyone, doing well. A horse or so, doing okay. No horses, times are tough. (this is for families in the sticks that always used to own a horse or two). Renting for equipment, sounds like a good idea. Any acreage with that set of buildings. Cause if you don't have a hundred or so acres to ride on, they will complain and leave when they find a place with accessable riding. Acreage for turnouts? Who will feed, water, clean, haul in feed, haul out manure, sweep, mow, rake, paint, buy troughs, buy insurance, buy electric, buy individual tack boxes so they don't steal from each other, provide parking and supervise general activities?

Well said!:thumb::thumb: