Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Railroad the new way

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Building a Railroad the new way

amasing how we've developed
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-19-2010 at 04:45 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Thats cool
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Brings back memories of when we used to go train watching along the northeast corridor around Baltimore. Last time I seen that done was atleast 15 years ago.

Tokyo Japan
    Wow, that is a whole bunch interesting
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Really cool. I helped design make and sold a nylon rail fastener/ bolt system for concrete ties and tunnel segment connectors about 13 years ago. Still in use by Union Pacific and a few others today for replacing broken fasteners. Sold hundreds of thousands of tunnel segment connector fasteners on the Toronto transit tunnel.
    Railroad stuff is really cool
    Faith, Hope & Charity

GTA Ontario Canada
    Cool video Don it shows progress. If you travel in Europe on the French TGV or the German ICE then you get to see the reason for the fuss on the ballast and the rails.

I am surprised it does not show them tuning up the rails as well.

Had a fair bit of experience in the rail industry too Bob with things like train number display systems, hot box detectors boosters retarders for a marshaling yard as well as fancy micro based train controllers.

I worked for the B&O RR back in the early 80s,at a reclamation /manufacturing shop where my Grandfather worked 30 years before. I thought we were automated in track repair/replacement, but what I just saw was way beyond what we had. we still use wooden crossties,where they use concrete, I guess the cost would be prohibitive for most RRs here. of course, we don't have the 100 mph passenger trains they have, either..we still have speed limits on our tracks...Thank goodness, as many there'd be many more de-railments if we didn't...
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples''ll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

ABQ NM
    Very cool, Don. I've got a train fan buddy that's gonna enjoy watching that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Holy Cow!!! That is awesome.

Thanks for the show.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    But, I worry about the intelligence of that guy who had his head inside the big machine watching it work.
    One little glitch and.......
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire