2 Mistakes and 2 Saves I hope

Dan Mosley

Had some free time today to play in the garage inspite of 115 degree heat, humidity, sweating,....etc........ It was really nasty but I wanted to finish up a couple things. In the process of sweating up a storm and trying to work on the projects I made a couple errors (must have been the heat....;)).......................

Mishap-1----- Picture 1 & 2 - Is a ironwood vase 12" tall, 6 1/4" wide. Turned to completion, sanded and all was going really well. Then I had a brilliant idea and took it off the lathe with the chuck.....dripped CA into the bottom of it to strengthen the pith area at the bottom....then put some BLO/MS mix in and slushed it around...........poured out the excess and went inside for a phone call...........came back out and put the chucked pc back on the lathe and turned it on to sand a little more with 500grit.........after turning it on apparentlly there was still a bit of liquid floating around in the vessel and it bled thru the vessel and all over the outside of it..........ahhhhhhhh dang:eek:
Not what i was wanting at all...........so i wet sanded it with the 500grit and the mix of BLO/MS.....wiped down well........then wet sanded a couple hrs later with DO and 500 grit........wiped down well and now sitting inside to slowly dry.................still looks ok for now.............

Mishap-2 -------Picture 3 & 4 - small vessel was to bland and I put some analine dye on......looking good......2 coats of 50/50 laquer and laquer thinner as sealer and 0000 between each coat......after 2 coats I was "rushing again" and decided to oil up the inside......so I sprayed the inside the little vessel and let the lathe run slowly and all was going well.......went to part it off and it slipped out of my hand and dropped down onto a paper plate of the BLO/MS I was using earlier...................ahhhhhhhhhhh I quit..........:eek:
So I picked it up and wiped it down as best I could with paper towels.....took in side and it appears dry but im going to let it sit for some time and probably spray laquer it to finish it...........dam........not the way I was going to do it but still worth keeping and working with............

Attachments

• Ironwood Vase-1.jpg
    Ironwood Vase-1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Ironwood Vase-2.jpg
    Ironwood Vase-2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Small Vase-1.jpg
    Small Vase-1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Small Vase-2.jpg
    Small Vase-2.jpg