Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canoe reskin

Canoe reskin

Well I got the cedar canoe down from the ceiling of the shop to have a look at it and found it was in rougher shape than I remember it being in when it was put away 2 yrs ago. Well it started out as a re finish and looks like it is going to be a reskin as the glass had seperated from the cedar. So spent the day stripping the glass off the bottom of the canoe. Too bad I have no use for cedar toned old fiberglass as I have a box of it now. I have to take the gunwales off to get the last chunks and re finish them too. Looks like a complete over haul of the craft. As I have the motivation going I have to take down the cedar that has been sitting up on the ceiling for the past two years and get started on that Kayak I have been talking about. Oh I should say kayak's as Janet needs one too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canoe 001 - Copy.JPG   canoe 002 - Copy.JPG   canoe 003.JPG   canoe 005 - Copy.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Think of all the storage space you're gaining.

I'll be looking forward to see this one and the kayaks get done.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Unfortunately Vaughn Once finished the canoe will go back up on the ceiling. So no space gained and it will occupy some valuable floor space till it is finished.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Although I don't need another boat, I really wish I had a canoe that will look as nice as that one when you git'r'dun....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Going to make a guess here, it was originally covered using polyester resin??
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

It was a cold cure epoxy resin over 6 once cloth with a 2 part uv inhibiter top coat from Industrial plastics and paint, but it was 1995 when I built this and it spent a good part of it's life on the roof of my truck or out in the yard uncovered. I have not been kind to this though and have used it lots in rivers and the ocean and it has seen its share of abuse. Lots of the glass had a good bond with the yellow cedar but there were sections where it had become seperated and after years of patching it is time to do the job right. I am thinking of trying out the west system this time but I am open to suggestions.

This is what she looked like the day I christened her. I took her out to the lake in Terrace Bc with a can of beer ( poor mans yaught so it seemed fitting ) and was going to call her the Northern Dream. Well just as I was about to do the honors a dark cloud let go a dump of rain and she got called the Wet Dream.

I designed her for doing the bowron lake chain and is a combination laker / freighter canoe with some modifications of my own. 32 inch at the beam with a flat bottom no keal so she side slips over the reeds and plants and rocks quite well so i can get into the grass's for better fishing. She may look wide and awkward, but she is a dream on the water. I tried to tip her the first time out just to see how stable she is and it took lots to get her over as the bottom is slightly flexable and creates a convex curve and this creats a suction to the water. Fully loaded she sits high in the water and that is the once curse she has as she catches more wind and with no keel she can be a challenge to handle in a good wind.

I did build two red cedar paddles for her. One normal for the front paddler and one power paddle for me. Both wide and flat so that they can be used for filleting fish when out camping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canoe 001.JPG  

She is a beauty Drew, hope you get her back in shape.

I went to kindergarten in Terrace BC and my youngest sister was born there.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Surprised epoxy came off like that, that is why I was assuming it was polyester resin.

Look at RAKA epoxy. Prices are cheaper than West and never heard of a quality problem. Their resin is thinner than West but for coating glass I like that.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks Jeff I will check that out. I was surprised at how easy it all came off and I can only think that it is the time factor and the heating from the sun that could have caused the seperation. I have had issues with blisters in the past and deep scratches that have penetrated the glass. These could all be factors.