Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw goes down for the 8 count

bandsaw goes down for the 8 count

I received the replacement part, with a pin, so my son came over today, and within 5 minutes had the new part on but ofcourse, Im not that lucky.
    The tension lever was sort of loose, not stiff, so I decided maybe I need to try to put some tension on it and raise it. No go.
    The lever would not move, and I dare not force it.
    My son said lets take this thing apart, down to the last pin if we have too.
    Now. Its not that I dont trust him, but since hes been 2, hes always loved taking things apart, and not always figures out how to put them back together. but the thought of paying someone to pick it up and repair it, and then deliver it back, well, ok, kid, heres a wrench.
    And he took it apart, and as we took out each pin or screw, little black pieces of metal starting falling onto the table surface. Uh oh, not a good sign I thought.
    Sure enough, the gear inside that the tension lever hooks into, had broken teeth, and that was that. That was the reason the lever wouldnt catch and move the wheel. Not sure if the gear broke first or the piece holding the lever that cracked broke first. Maybe they broke the same time.
    Regardless, new part will be ordered with pin, less than 10 bucks, but I wont be putting it back together for at least 2-3 weeks.
    Rented a house in the country with the bride, and were taking a rest. No computers, no work. No woodworking. Nothing exciting. If we dont kill each other, Ill put the machine back together in a few weeks.
    No chair leg templates this week. Ill work on adirondack chairs and some cutting boards to fill in the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 550 (Medium).jpg   bed 553 (Medium).jpg  

Oh Boy, looks like you got your hands full....

I've always loved taking things apart, but have found that putting them together again is usually more difficult....

To wit, I'm taking apart my 87' pathfinder dash, a 1997 Honda BF50 outboard as we speak... So hopefully we can both get them ripped apart, fixed and put together.

I feel for you Allen....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...Rented a house in the country with the bride, and were taking a rest. No computers, no work. No woodworking. Nothing exciting. If we dont kill each other, Ill put the machine back together in a few weeks...
    Sounds like a great plan. You deserve a rest. Sorry to see the bandsaw is still on the DL, but it'll be back in the game soon enough.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    ...To wit, I'm taking apart my 87' pathfinder dash, a 1997 Honda BF50 outboard as we speak...
    If you end up with a pull starter rope coming out of the dash, it means you did something wrong.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    If you end up with a pull starter rope coming out of the dash, it means you did something wrong.
    I only wish I had the video of Sharon driving the inflatable dinghy one day. She managed to get it to do a vertical 180. The little 4hp 4stroke Honda make some really cool sounds until it got some water in the intake!

I did manage to repair that little motor...

But more importantly, Sharon only suffered from muddy shoes!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Hope you're not like me. I'm always more efficient when I put things back together. Always have left over parts. I rebuilt a Chevy Turbo 350 trans in Jr College as part of my class work. Can't remember, but I think it was the 3rd or 4th try before I got it together with out any extra parts. It worked great! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

less than 5 dollars in parts, 9 bucks to ship. So far its run around 10 dollar in parts and 17 dollars shipping.

Lemme get this right....just you and bride, house in country..nothing exciting???
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

well, maybe Ill see some deer on the property.

Im going to look at an old woodworking vise later this morning. Thats exciting.
    My bride is in Atlantic City, so Ive got nothing but time today, so Ill spend it driving around the 5 boroughs looking at woodworking equipment. Maybe Ill stop in Mr. Moscowitzs' place and get me a stone or two.(and I really need a new flush/trim saw)
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-19-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    hes always loved taking things apart, and not always figures out how to put them back together.
    Allen, I've learned the hard way lately, that any time I take anything apart, I take MANY pictures before and as I remove pieces. It makes re-assembly much eaiser.
    Last edited by Dan Mooney; 07-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker