Solid legs or glue up?

Jim O'Dell

I'm contemplating starting my first piece of furniture. I have a cheap hand-me-down, knock down design corner desk that is pretty awful looking. Can't remember how many times it's been painted, and is 40 years old, minimum. Probably more like 45+. I want something to match the bedroom furniture. This is one edge of the dresser. DSCN2725.jpgDSCN2726.jpg The front corner legs are 3" wide X 2 7/8" deep. Would it be better to glue up to get the size needed, or use some 12-4 solid wood? (knowing I can't get the 3" width) The current furniture looks to be glue up, but not straight. It's like after the glue ups, the pieces were cut on the bias to make the parts. I haven't decided if I will make a drawer, or a pull out keyboard tray. Probably a drawer and have the keyboard on top of the desk like I do now. It will be done in Red Oak to match as closely as possible the current pieces. Thanks for any and all help! Jim.

When I bought the piece of QSWO I'm using for my wife's project chair, they said 12 quarter was the thickest they had in Oak. My fear is after ripping it down, it will curl, then be unusable. That's why I'm leaning to the glue up, but hate the thought of the extra time and mess! Jim.

I reciently sold (no close up picture to provide) a similar antique piece. The corner legs were the same, They were constructed of Mitered (with corner glueblocks) L shaped legs that were joined into the carcus.

You can also make it from 8/4 stock. got to quit thinking "Suare corners"
Here is a quick sketch showing how an 8/4 stock can be used, slice off pink and green sections to leave a corner post.

Attachments

• round corner.JPG
    round corner.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If you do use QSWO, the glueup would allow you to have the QSWO figure on all four sides, if you wanted...

are yu sure brent??? yu mean yu can have gtr sawn on 4 sides of a leg post:huh::dunno:

I think Brent is talking about this method where an 1/8" strip or veneer is glued to the non-QS appearing sides of a leg giving a Q-sawn look to all sides:

leg-lam-q-sawn.jpg

But, as the "corner" is a radius, Bill S. cites the method I would use for this curved corner appearance. The advantages of a glue up without seams that may show.

I think Brent is talking about this method where an 1/8" strip or veneer is glued to the non-QS appearing sides of a leg giving a Q-sawn look to all sides:

View attachment 47258

But, as the "corner" is a radius, Bill S. cites the method I would use for this curved corner appearance. The advantages of a glue up without seams that may show.

i to agree with Bill Simpsons approach,, if were me i would do it like that or glue one up out of some rift sawn.. now that i think about it i might hav had something like that on the hoosier maybe cant remeber that far back:rolleyes:

are yu sure brent??? yu mean yu can have gtr sawn on 4 sides of a leg post:huh::dunno:

Ahh, didn't catch the radius. What I've seen done before with QSWO is that you have 4 sides, Either mitered to a 45, or routed with a lock miter at each corner glued up. :thumb:

I've also seen the one glenn Mentions where you put a thin veneer on the 'non qswo' sides...

But if you need that big of a radius, the point is moot. Whatever moot is... :D

...the point is moot. Whatever moot is... :D

Moot%20Point.jpg

the_more_you_know.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm going to start a poll:

Vaughn is a sick man -

1 = Totally Disagree
2 = Not Sure
3 = Agree
4 = Strongly Agree
5 = Old Rockers Scare Me