A very impressive cabinet/table

Frank Pellow

On the cover of the November Lee Valley catalogue, there is a picture of a cabinet/table made by Bob Batos-Parac of Ottawa. The brief description says that the chess table was inspired by traditional motifs from Croatian furniture and that it is made from yatoba, walnut, and birch.

Lee Valley cover -November 2006 -smaller.jpg

I find myself looking at the cover again and again. I have never seen a picture of a work of wood art that has impressed my as much as this one. I wonder if Bob carved the chess pieces as well.

If you have not seen the catalogue, it is really worth the effort to try and get yourself a copy. My attached photo does not really do the piece justice.

Last edited:
I can see the effort and workmanship involved but am afraid that it is wasted on me. I am not a fan of ornamentation for its own sake. I am afraid that this sort of piece leaves me completely stone cold.

But there you go - just more proof that it really does take all sorts to make a world.:)

It is an unreal piece for sure, the skill and patience that goes into this kind of thing is hard for me, a mere hack, to imagine, but........ I like things that are simpler as well, that is just personal taste.

Still, it is an unreal piece of work.... :eek:

Very impressive indeed.
But I could never get into that type, level of work.
I am not an artist type woodworker.