Veritas Twin Screw End Vise Install finished

Alex Reid

Here is a pic of my twin screw vise installed on my bench. I am very happy with this vise. It is robust and smooth. Making the vise faces and the install went very well with no major glitches. The only real problems I had were related to my workbench, which when made was not made in a modular fashion so I can't take it apart. (You can see that I had to drill in from the top for two of the bolts. I'll plug those up later.)

For anyone thinking of getting this vise I recommend it and can tell you it is not hard to install but requires a certain exactness. Just make sure you read the instructions before you do it or it will be certain you mess it up.;)

Attachments

• end_vise.jpg
    end_vise.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 112
  • end_vise2.jpg
    end_vise2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 97
Looks good Alex, that is really a nice set up you have there.

I have to say,t hat vice is really something I've looked at for a very long time as well, certainly on my wish list!

I wonder how much you will use it.........? I've talked to a few guys who installed it and found they used it very seldom.....:dunno:

I guess it depends on what you are making. I have the large Record vice and I find I use it just about every time I head down to the Dungeon.

Again, nice job! :thumb:

Cheers!

Frank - Lucky you can just go down to LV and view the item. I have to buy sight unseen.

Stu - Time will tell how much use I get out of it. However I also had on my wish list for quite a while before I made the purchase.

Doug - The vise had to be shorten by three chain links to fit my bench so the handles bumped each other. Out of the box center-to-center is 16.875", cutting three links out made center-to-center 15.75". In the picture I have some turned plugs in place of the second handle. BTW this vise is chain driven so two handles is not necessary and the jaws will stay parallel using just one handle.

Alex

Great looking job and a very neat shop!

That is a good idea to resolve the "handle synchronization" problem.

Stewart I find that I use mine when I'm working on larger boards/ putting together cabinets.

I have a single screw vice at the other end of my bench, find I use them both about equally.

Jay

Doug - The vise had to be shorten by three chain links to fit my bench so the handles bumped each other. Out of the box center-to-center is 16.875", cutting three links out made center-to-center 15.75". In the picture I have some turned plugs in place of the second handle. BTW this vise is chain driven so two handles is not necessary and the jaws will stay parallel using just one handle.

Makes sense. I only started looking at these recently and forgot that you can shorten them up.

Alex,

Your vise install looks great, very solid. Holes in the bench top? If you didn't say anything, I would have thought they were dog holes. Speaking of dog holes, do you have any?

Your tool tray addition also looks very sturdy. Looks like oak.

Your shop looks well organized and tidy. But coolest of all is the hardwood floor. Obviously not a garage-workshop. Cement floors are very unhealthy for dropped tools. A dropped chisel in concrete usually leads to 1/2 hour or more of re-grinding, honing, and polishing.

Thanks for sharing
rick

Alex,

Your vise install looks great, very solid. Holes in the bench top? If you didn't say anything, I would have thought they were dog holes. Speaking of dog holes, do you have any?

Your tool tray addition also looks very sturdy. Looks like oak.

Your shop looks well organized and tidy. But coolest of all is the hardwood floor. Obviously not a garage-workshop. Cement floors are very unhealthy for dropped tools. A dropped chisel in concrete usually leads to 1/2 hour or more of re-grinding, honing, and polishing.

Thanks for sharing
rick

Frank, Jay and Rick,

Thanks for the comments on the shop. I try to keep things clean because I am working in a small one car garage and things can get out of hand real quick if I don't keep things organized. I feel like an elephant in a city zoo - just not enough room to roam.

I have dog holes in the bench. The tool tray is Japanese ash and was a add-on last autumn. The floor is cherry :thumb: - left over from the our house construction three years ago. Much more comfortable then the cement and no worries anymore about dropping cutting edge tools. :D

I'll remind you guys that when Alex say "one car garage" he is actually saying "One JAPANESE car garage" :D

No way you are getting your Ford F-150 or you Caddy in there anytime soon, heck you would have trouble getting up the street to the house ;) :D

Yep Alex has a nice set up, I VERY much envy his hardwood floors!