Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure On Bike Tool Storage.......?

Secure On Bike Tool Storage.......?

Need some help here with ideas.

I want to be able to store some tools, just the very basic items a tube and some patches etc on the bike.

I used to ride from where I lived in East Vancouver to UBC there and back every day, that is a 32 Km round trip, I had a basic bag of stuff I took with me in my backpack. I could leave nothing on the bike, as it would be stolen for sure.

Here in Tokyo, this is not such a big problem. I don't carry a backpack everywhere I go, so I am worried that one day I'll have a flat and not have the means to fix it. The other day I went to my chiropractor and then to a close (ish) Super Viva Home, the trip was about 18 miles total, and I was thinking that if I did get a flat, I'd be in dutch. I want to store the tools etc on the bike, but not in the typical soft under the seat pouch, I want a hard plastic locking box, not too big either. I figure I'll attach it to the side of my rear rack, as I don't plan on using Panniers any time soon

Something that I could even put a small padlock through would work.

Should be watertight, not 100% but it will be exposed to rain on occasion, so the drier stuff stays the better.

Any ideas?

I've looked at small toolboxes, but could not really find something I liked. I did find one that is about the right size and is sealed but has no means of locking it. I'm thinking of putting on the bike, and then locking it with big zipties, the ones you have to cut off. The tools inside will not be worth a lot of money, and I know I cannot make it absolutely tamper proof, but making it a lot of work for some cheap tools, well that should be good enough, here in Tokyo.

Small, about 5" long, by 3" wide and maybe 1 1/2" deep
    Sealed
    Lockable

Thoughts?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Your pretty good with the metal work Stu, why not just bend up your own box out of some sheet steel or aluminum?

A bottom, an overlapping top, a simple hasp and you'd be in business...

I'd bet you could even fashion some sort of mounting bracket to attach to the seat post pretty easy.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Stu given you are prone to making your own have you ever thought of trying your hand at vacuum forming some plastic sheet. Its easy to do with a simple shop vac and for what you want you could make your own mould and be pretty specific as well as have some fun doing something you may not have tried before. No big cost to get going and who knows you might find some other uses for it in the L store or the Dungeon.

Here is Yu tube link to get you started.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhajk_IDTUo

I cant think of anything other than a battery pack for a bicycle light that i had once that fitted on the cross bars. Remove the batteries.

Best of luck.
    cheers

Option 1 - carry a cell phone and call your wife when stuck.

Option 2 - since you want water tight (ish) I've heard good things about Pelican cases. Or I'd look at places like mec or rei to see what they've got.

I don't like things on my back so I use a pannier for when I go back-n-forth to work, and I use a small rackmount bag for when I go on my Saturday morning rides with friends. Neither one is a hardshell, though.

Option 3 - just thought of this -- how about a wide-mouth metal water bottle. you should be able to get a tube + patch kit in there, and some tire irons. And it'll be stealth mode tools, no one would think about it, and who wants to steal a water bottle? Fits in your bottle cage too, so easy to mount.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 07-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Art, calling my wife is what I'm trying to avoid

Rob, that is interesting, but I have no oven to cook the plastic in, and there is now way I'm using the one in Emiko's kitchen

Brent, I know I could make one up, but I was hoping to find something a bit easier, just buy it and bolt it to the bike, time is not something I have a lot of lately.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I like PVC pipe with an end cap or plug on one end and a screw cap on on the other end. I have used this for shipping mercury thermometers and things like that. The Lock would take some thinking...

Another thought if you have it over there would be a short section of plastic down spout for gutter(roof eves)

Also over here they have white posts for Vinyl fences that would make a great starting point for something like this. Any round or square extruded plastic about 3-4 inched diameter or on a side if square would seem to be an ideal starting point..

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 07-21-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    I like PVC pipe with an end cap or plug on one end and a screw cap on on the other end. I have used this for shipping mercury thermometers and things like that. The Lock would take some thinking...
    Garry
    A bolt through the cap with a hole in the end of the bolt where the padlock goes?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Great ideas guys!
    William Arthur Ward

How about a car gun safe? Right size, lockable? I have one and is of good quality http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

Send me your address. I have one of these I'll send you. The plastic wire tie will keep it locked.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=L4