Keeping wood wet

Jim Burr

I was turning a bowl out of some really old, really curly, powder dry redwood. There were no curlies flying around, just powder so I guessing a moisture content of 2-3%. Since the Thompson 3/8" V-gouge hadn't been used yet, it was extremely sharp, I discounted dull tools. I was wondering if a spray bottle applied sparingly would help put enough moisture back into the blank...not warping it I hope, but allowing smoother turning. Still had some good sized tear-out on the inside despite fresh really sharp tool. Finished thickness is 1/8", 9"x4", recessed foot and 4 coats of rattle can laquer. Thoughts and suggestions are needed!

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 30
  • bowl1.jpg
    bowl1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 27
The bowl looks great from here, Jim. :thumb:

The water in a spray bottle trick does help, and I've never had it cause problems with warping. You can also use a bit of finish, wiped or sprayed on...lacquer, shellac, poly, BLO...whatever you're going to use for your final finish. It helps lubricate the wood and helps make the cut easier.

You picked a difficult wood to cut cleanly. Even with sharp tools and good techniques there's a good chance for tearout. Also, the Thompson gouge was sharp I'm sure, but Doug doesn't really get them extremely sharp. He uses a 46 grit wheel (or something in that range) to put the initial shape on them, so your 120 grit (or similar) grinding stone will put a finer edge on it. ;)

I have tried a few spray things and what works well for me was 50/50 water and liquid dishwashing soap.............works great...........
I have tried other things including soaking in different things and works equally as well but the spray I mentioned is fast and easy to use....

Thanks guys...I have a few more pieces and want to give them their best chance. It really is beautiful stuff, just a pain to deal with:(:(;)