Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coop de Ville, Mark 2

Coop de Ville, Mark 2

Some of you may remember this thread from a year ago, when I presented my new coop de ville: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...=coop+de+ville

Well, after giving us great fresh eggs for nearly a year, it's time to give our hens a nicer home. The coop de ville, Mark 2.

This is basically a 5 x 6 foot shed, which is new territory for me. The last image is about 200 board feet of pine I bought today from a local Amish sawyer. The siding will most likely be board & batten. Still a work in progress, with more pictures to follow, as the project progresses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails base.jpg   deck.jpg   side.jpg   pine.jpg  

Can't wait to see this. I've been wanting chickens for quite a while now...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent, having chickens is really a lot of fun. They do their thing, and are overall pleasant creatures. Each one lays an egg approximately every 25 hours. So for my little family, we have all the delicious fresh eggs we can eat. I feel bad about the ugly A frame I made last year, and am looking forward to having a coop we can actually go into to clean. Windows are ordered, and should arrive in a couple of days.

Wow this is now a luxury condo Ken. I remember the last post and coop. Seems to me you gonna have to get more chickens to have a bigger yield to pay the increased electric bill for the heating in winter by selling some eggs to your neighbors.

Soon yu will be changing you Avatar to Chicken man and fighting forces of evil Aw shucks you have to click to get the sound going.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Went to visit my brother in law many years ago at Christmas time. He lives in Waerloo Cal. which is near Stockton. During the winter they get real heavy tooley fog and sometimes can go weeks without any sunlight. He was complaining that his chicken quit laying and couldn't figer out why. I told him that the chicken need to see the sunlight. and until the fog lifted they wouldn't lay any eggs. I went to the local tractor supply and picked up a spotlight and a timer, set it top give the chicken 12 hrs of "sunlight" and they started laying again.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well Rob, our flock is only four, though the new coop will be able to accommodate more. We give eggs to our neighbors, and occasionally ask them to provide care when we're away. The heating costs are pretty minimal - a 100 watt bulb running several hours/day only when it's really cold [which it does get here.] Much of the year - when the days are long, there's no lights, and when we only need light without heat, then I use a 13 watt CF bulb. There's a reason that "chicken feed" refers to something cheap - it is, even when we buy the good stuff, which we do. This time of year, the hens are out and about all day long, finding their own food.

Given the choice, a chicken would rather work for a living than receive a free lunch.

Nice project.
    Nothing like giving the chickens a new condo.

Do you let them roam around loose during the day and pen them up at night?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Can't wait to see this. I've been wanting chickens for quite a while now...
    Our first Christmas out here in the boonies, I gave Brent a book called "Living with Chickens".

I knew it was a mistake

Yes, they have the run of the property. They stay close mostly. You can see a couple of them in picture 2 above. Chickens will go back into their coop on their own, as it gets to be twilight.