Coop de Ville, Mark 2

getting near the home stretch

Seems like I've been working on this coop for a long time. I recycled a stockade fence for some of the interior, but also resawed some 1" thick pine, and planed it to between 3/8 and 1/2".

Boxed in some hardware cloth for ventilation. Made a "pop door" for the chickens, and it will open from outside the run, keeping our shoes cleaner. I decided to make a locking mechanism to both hold the door open, and keep it shut, in case a raccoon has eaten his Wheaties, and is strong enough to lift the door. Images show it locked closed and open.

Windows are in, and the lids for the nest box and food storage are done.

I still have to make a little ramp, install the door, and build connections for the run. The wood is drying and gaps are starting to open. Hopefully it'll hold together well enough....

Attachments

• IMG_6054.jpg
    IMG_6054.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6056.jpg
    IMG_6056.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6057.jpg
    IMG_6057.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6058.jpg
    IMG_6058.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6059.jpg
    IMG_6059.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6061.jpg
    IMG_6061.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6063.jpg
    IMG_6063.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 41
attachment.php

"Look Girls he's getting there and is that one of those whole house vacuum systems ?

attachment.php

How come you got that house up and ROOFED so quickly? Did you get Ned to help you?

YOu might have to build a dog house next, cause after the dog sees the chickens move into there new digs, hes going to get jealous.

The roof took longer than expected, because I did the front part twice, didn't like how it looked pieced together. Metal roofing is fast work though. Place it, punch it, drill it and screw it. I'm just glad I didn't give myself a nice deep gash cutting the steel. It really is a small roof. It's only got 4 pieces, not including end and ridge caps.

The dog lives IN our house, so the chickens got nothing on him. He gets along well with them too.

Thanks folks, for the kind words.

Martha Stewart would be proud! Actually very nice coop. One thing maybe to think of, I know the roof has a nice overhang above the slanted doors to the feed and nesting boxes, but to prevent angled rain from running in and making a mess of the nests, an inner tube cut length wise, stapled along the hinge point will make for a moisture free environment and provide hinging capabilities at the same time.

jonathan brings up another point that you havnt got covered yet that i just thought off.. you should have a sturdy latch on those nest and feed boxes ken or ricky raccoon will help himself from the back door:eek: they can easily lift those lids and get in...

good idea, Larry

I put a hasp on the nest box. I'm not so worried about the grain - a critter can't get in to the coop from the grain storage bins.

Door's on too. I was surprised that it fit, kept expecting some unforeseen mess-up. Just some little odds n'ends and I can call it done. Still have to make a connection to the run, and oh yeah, move the run to the new coop. Once the wood dries out some more, I'll probably put some kind of stain on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6064.jpg
    IMG_6064.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6065.jpg
    IMG_6065.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 30
It's as important to put a hasp or latch of some kind on the grain boxes also as possums and 'coons will poop and pee in the grain, spoiling your feed as well as it is a wonderful way of transmitting disease. First time being foiled on being able to open it, they will eventually quit, but if they get it open once or twice, they will move heaven and earth to get in it again after a latch has been installed. Kind of like kids, better to squelch the behavior before it becomes a habit!:thumb: