Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to turn a plane knob advice needed

Want to turn a plane knob advice needed

Hi Turners

Before i go and do another thing and wing it, can anyone give me the kick off to turning a knob for a hand plane in the lathe.

I been looking at it and have in mind to put a block of wood in the chuck then support other end with live center.

Issue i see is others do this with a mandrel can i get buy without one.

Here is my thinking.

I turn a little tennon which would be the base, then mount a forstner bit in the chuck on the tailstock and pop the large hole in the bottom of the knob, then reverse it and put the tenon into the chuck and finish the knob. When done take a smaller forstner and drill the hole for the brass threaded round nut that usually goes through and seats at the top of the knob holding he knob down by means of the threaded shaft attached to it.

But now i have not finished the tennon. So i guess this needs to be done in one sweep right at the beginning before reversing and putting in it the chuck right? or is there a better or proper way.

Try as i might i have only found one article on the web and it uses a mandrel.

Comments suggestions and advice welcome. You can even call me names if it will help you to help me.
    cheers

Support is always good. But for something as small and short as a plane knob, I would just chuck up a tenon and turn. When done, leave on lathe and drill your holes.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've done it both ways, and Frank's is the easiest.

BTW, that's just about the only thing my lathe ever gets used for - tool handles.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Frank may be an Arky razorback, but he is right on this one. I did it that way and was pleased with the results. Remember to ubdercut the bottom to fit over the casting flair.

Thanks guys I managed to get er done. Frank i used your method in the end. Still not happy with my approach though, I got there in the end but not in an elegant way i see yo guys doing things.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks guys I managed to get er done. Frank i used your method in the end. Still not happy with my approach though, I got there in the end but not in an elegant way i see yo guys doing things.
    Pictures???
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Pictures???
    Second that Emotion

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Rob you no the drill. no pics didn't happen.

All right sheriffs, there were mitigating circumstances, i just had to do some work first, only finished up at 11pm last night so had not yet taken pics.

For the posse here are the pictures of my work. I still need some help i need to make some more and dont want to run on the edge of my nerves at the lathe.

Here is the old one which i sanded initially on sat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanley Knob sanded.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	47325 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint in the grain.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	47322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanley Knob hole in bottom.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	47324

This is the new one made from a block of Michigan chocolate that i nearly never saw in the box

Name:	Walnut knob.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	47328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walnut knob lying down.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	47327 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Topview knob hole oval.jpg 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	47326

Here are the two side by side

Name:	side by side 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	47323 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old and the new.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	47321

Have sanded to 600 fine now need to consider a finish. Any suggestions my normal one would be wipe on poly I really need to get away from it. Have BLO but not had much luck in applying it so far. Used it and mineral oil on my burnisher and it came out blotchy. Pretty dissapointed with myself for messing up my nice dogwood handle so this time i am asking for help.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Have sanded to 600 fine now need to consider a finish. Any suggestions my normal one would be wipe on poly I really need to get away from it. Have BLO but not had much luck in applying it so far. Used it and mineral oil on my burnisher and it came out blotchy. Pretty dissapointed with myself for messing up my nice dogwood handle so this time i am asking for help.

Rob, How'd you apply the BLO? I use it all the time and never have had a problem.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward