Shaker Box hot water tray

I've been wanting to give shaker boxes a go for a couple of years. I think they're really neat and would make some great Christmas presents.

I've looked at John Wilson's site http://shakerovalbox.com He's apparently the shaker box guru and that's where I'll get my supplies from.

I'm stumped however about the soaking box for the bands. I don't want to drop 150 bucks for a box. His are nice and after looking around they aren't that unreasonable, but 150 is 150. I know in the catalog they're only 125 but with shipping they're closer to 150.

I've looked online and can't find anything that would work. I've even thought about trying to make my own. Does anybody have any ideas?

Well, I feel like a goof.

I looked at his site again and just say the galvanized trays for 38 dollars. I'll just order one of those. To quote the great John Denver song "some days the diamond some days the coal". I guess I'm the coal today!:dunno::eek:

I'm going to this place again this weekend to look around at all the old woodworking equipment. I'll ask them about how they prepare their wood and let you know.
www.fryesmeasuremill.com

Great link... Now, Thats a bunch of Boxes. Seems sorta sacrelige with the Shaker box and the TV Remote...

remote.jpg

I have on the back burner a desire to produce them. This site inspires me to start looking at my burners more closely. :thumb:

As for the boiler, any metal tray large enough to hold the parts and deep enough to boil the water and strong enough to mount over a heat source should work, Wilson's design is obviously a good effecient setup. Deep ends on how much you want to Git-r-done or DIY... I would think the $38 tray would fit well on a Propane deep fryer, and be set to start production.

My soaking tray was a piece of rain guttering, with the end sealed with silicone. I put it over a two burner propane stove, and it'd boil the water in just a few minutes. I only made the smaller (1~4) boxes, and a 42" length of guttering worked fine.

My soaking tray was a piece of rain guttering, with the end sealed with silicone. I put it over a two burner propane stove, and it'd boil the water in just a few minutes. I only made the smaller (1~4) boxes, and a 42" length of guttering worked fine.

I had wondered if a length of guttering would work. With the ogee shape I didn't know if it was wide enough. I have about a 15' piece that the gutter guy messed up when he made/hung mine. He had no use for it so he let me have it. I might cut a piece and cap the ends and see if it'll work.

chuck thioits has done some soaking as well for his handles on the mugs and john wilson is one very nice fella have meet him and talked at length, seeun as he is only a few miles away from me about a hour.. old guy with young wife ,,quite the character.. and he knows boxes and any thing he has he can make with hos own homemade tools.. very handyman orineted no fancy hogh dollar anything..he does offer tours and classes..

I was wondering, how to address the fact that wood floats... holding it under might cook you fingers, or fasteners may stain the wood. or do you just let it float on boiling water? Would the dry top be the inside of the bend? :dunno:

This is interesting and moving fast to the top of my 2-Do list. (right after the things I promised... :rolleyes:)

Keep us informed of progress and, as usual... Pictures. lots of pictures and secrets. :thumb: