Mac Users... Firefox?

Ned Bulken

Hey Macophiles,
I just had a go-around with my eldest son over his loading software onto my iMac. He put Firefox and Skype on it without my knowledge or permission. I read him the riot act over this (he has screwed up my computers before, and I'm not letting him ruin this one).

However... neither Skype nor Firefox are malicious and I realize that Firefox is one program I wouldn't mind using. I've been using Safari as my browser, and I haven't had any problems with it crashing totally, though it has hung up a few times. Do you use Firefox as a browser on your computer? For that matter, Thunderbird?

I have set up my wife's office computers to run Firefox. They all run Macs and prefer Firefox to Safari. An added bonus is the look and feel crosses over to PCs if you use Firefox on those too.

Cheers,

I use Firefox on all of my Macs, I like the interface better than Safari, my wife like Safari better :dunno:

Macs are very, VERY easy to set up with accounts so that to install any new software, he would have to have you sign off on it. I'd set it up that way, give him his own account but keep the master password on the admin account to yourself, then if he wants to install anything, he has to come and ask you to type in your password.

There are bad things out there for Mac, but to install them you have to give them the OK by typing in your password, if you don't know what is trying to install itself on your Mac, don't type the password and let it install, :doh:

I'm sure windows has some similar set ups too.

I've been using Firefox for years, and like it.

HOWEVER, I'm considering my options. Lately I've been having issues with firefox growing bigger and bigger as I use it. Yesterday I killed firefox when it was sucking 1Gig of memory. It had been up for a few days.

I've been digging into it, and it seems like the plugins are part of the problem. (I used Adblock plus, which makes browsing SO much nicer, and Google toolbar.) I've heard that Adblock plus might be the culprit. However yesterday I launched Firefox without any extensions and I'm already up to 425MB of RAM used, and I only have 4 non-flash tabs open.

I may investigate Google chrome next.

I have set up my wife's office computers to run Firefox. They all run Macs and prefer Firefox to Safari. An added bonus is the look and feel crosses over to PCs if you use Firefox on those too.

Cheers,
I might just re-install it and see how I like it.

I use Firefox on all of my Macs, I like the interface better than Safari, my wife like Safari better :dunno:

Macs are very, VERY easy to set up with accounts so that to install any new software, he would have to have you sign off on it. I'd set it up that way, give him his own account but keep the master password on the admin account to yourself, then if he wants to install anything, he has to come and ask you to type in your password.

There are bad things out there for Mac, but to install them you have to give them the OK by typing in your password, if you don't know what is trying to install itself on your Mac, don't type the password and let it install, :doh:

I'm sure windows has some similar set ups too.

Oh yeah, I like the standard mail client that comes with the Mac, much better than Thunderbird, IMHO :wave:

Stu,
there lies the rub, I've set this machine to the 'family' account... we leave it running and whomever is using it has their own set of bookmarks... but other than that only one 'user' per se. I do have it password protected for loading software, evidently my wife gave him the password. (now changed).

His comment was 'I thought this was the family computer' My reply, 'when it comes to software it is My computer, not yours, you have a laptop, load that up with garbage not mine'. Obviously Firefox isn't a bad program, but he has a major 'if I use it is mine and I can do what i want with it' mentality over just about everything.

I'm not a mac user, but I do use firefox and thunderbird. They both work great for me....
Thanks Brent!

I've been using Firefox for years, and like it.

HOWEVER, I'm considering my options. Lately I've been having issues with firefox growing bigger and bigger as I use it. Yesterday I killed firefox when it was sucking 1Gig of memory. It had been up for a few days.

I've been digging into it, and it seems like the plugins are part of the problem. (I used Adblock plus, which makes browsing SO much nicer, and Google toolbar.) I've heard that Adblock plus might be the culprit. However yesterday I launched Firefox without any extensions and I'm already up to 425MB of RAM used, and I only have 4 non-flash tabs open.

I may investigate Google chrome next.

Art,
I'll keep an eye on it if I install it (which I probably will).

I don't use the MACs, but I do run Firefox on my pc... don't know anything about Safari or Thunderbird. I don't let FF load add-ons, unless it's one I want. I have Google Chrome set up as well as IE8... don't use Chrome much.. I use the Google search on Firefox so really don't need Chrome.