Red Cedar

If I use some Red Cedar boards for closet shelving etc., can I leave it unfinished? Or is it recommended that I finish it with something? If so, what?

THANKS
It's my understanding that in closets cedar need to be left bare to take advantage of it bug repelling features, in fact I have seen recommendations to sand it from time to time to release the smell and properties anew.
Now I know none of this to be fact...
Garry

If it's Eastern Red Cedar it's considered aromatic cedar. If it's Western Red Cedar it's not listed as aromatic. Eastern Red will eventually lose it's wonderful smell , but it is recommend to lightly sand with a fine grit and it will refresh or return its aroma.

I do a lot with Juniper, a member of the Western Cedar family. it absorbs finish quickly. I have found that I have to put several coats of poly on before I get any build up. Western Red is oily, but is rot resistance.

Check the net, there are some pretty good articles defining Eastern Red, Western Red, White Cedar, Juniper, etc and their uses

Jiggs Elphison

I think I'd leave the cedar unfinished. As Garry mentioned, the cedar aroma fades over time, but can be refreshed with a few swipes of sandpaper. Be aware that cedar is pretty soft, so it'll likely get some dings and other marks serving as a closet shelf. Not that it's a bad thing, but I just wanted to mention it.