Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drill press dust collection

drill press dust collection

I am moving my dust cyclone to a different part of the shop so while i'm moving the ducting around I want to add some DC to the drill press. What type of setup do you guys use. I suppose that some loc-line would work nicely but wanted to see some cheaper, I mean less expensive, solutions. Pictures are great.

This is my DC set up. Not quite what you had in mind I know.. So I will be watching this thread to get ideas as well.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dustpan.jpg  
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Here is my favorite duster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electric_leaf_blower.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	47412

I don't catch dust. I chase it away!

I have used those options, they are alright but not quite what I was looking for.

The shop vac does better at the DP than the DC in my testing but, either way; http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=10717
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have used Tom's system and Carol's system--both are workable. Think I'll look into Glenn's system.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have seen loc-line which is similar to Glenn's solution. It is the blue and orange, Its used a lot for coolant in cnc and milling operations. It comes in 2.5" size for dust collection. I don't know if its sold locally around here so I think I'm going to make something. I came up with an idea to make an articulating arm out of 2" PVC pipe. I think this will give me much better flow than locline. I used a similar concept for the blade guard on the sawstop. I did a test with 2" PVC vs. shop vac hose and the PVC had much better flow than the hose. I think this is due to PVC being very smooth and the vac hose is very rough.

I got something together and I think it will work great. I used 2" PVC pipe, some 90s and a few unions. I will have to take some pics when I get it mounted, the pipe comes down the wall, there is a union and a 90 then a union, then pipe and a 90, a union, a 90 then pipe. The unions work as pivot points. I stuck the "wall pipe" in the vise and the whole assembly moves really nicely.

My 2 cents

Hi,

I found that using 2.5" duct was more efficient than 4" at the DP table (ditto for the BS). The velocity of the moving air was greater so the air picked up the sawdust further away with 2.5 than 4.0. The 2.5 in is a few inches long. It goes directly into 4 in. The 4 in goes directly up to the 6 in at ceiling height.

I am using a similar set-up on the woodlathe. It has reduced the amount of wood snow that clings to my clothes and piles up on the floor.

Enjoy,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-02-2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Clarification
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

heres some pics, it works well, moves easily and stays in place. I think I will make some nozzles for it to use for different applications.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jul31_0001.jpg   Jul31_0002.jpg   Jul31_0003.jpg   Jul31_0004.jpg   Jul31_0005.jpg  

Jul31_0006.jpg