drill press dust collection

Dave Black

I am moving my dust cyclone to a different part of the shop so while i'm moving the ducting around I want to add some DC to the drill press. What type of setup do you guys use. I suppose that some loc-line would work nicely but wanted to see some cheaper, I mean less expensive, solutions. Pictures are great.

I have seen loc-line which is similar to Glenn's solution. It is the blue and orange, Its used a lot for coolant in cnc and milling operations. It comes in 2.5" size for dust collection. I don't know if its sold locally around here so I think I'm going to make something. I came up with an idea to make an articulating arm out of 2" PVC pipe. I think this will give me much better flow than locline. I used a similar concept for the blade guard on the sawstop. I did a test with 2" PVC vs. shop vac hose and the PVC had much better flow than the hose. I think this is due to PVC being very smooth and the vac hose is very rough.

I got something together and I think it will work great. I used 2" PVC pipe, some 90s and a few unions. I will have to take some pics when I get it mounted, the pipe comes down the wall, there is a union and a 90 then a union, then pipe and a 90, a union, a 90 then pipe. The unions work as pivot points. I stuck the "wall pipe" in the vise and the whole assembly moves really nicely.

My 2 cents

Hi,

I found that using 2.5" duct was more efficient than 4" at the DP table (ditto for the BS). The velocity of the moving air was greater so the air picked up the sawdust further away with 2.5 than 4.0. The 2.5 in is a few inches long. It goes directly into 4 in. The 4 in goes directly up to the 6 in at ceiling height.

I am using a similar set-up on the woodlathe. It has reduced the amount of wood snow that clings to my clothes and piles up on the floor.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
heres some pics, it works well, moves easily and stays in place. I think I will make some nozzles for it to use for different applications.

Attachments

• Jul31_0001.jpg
    Jul31_0001.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Jul31_0002.jpg
    Jul31_0002.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Jul31_0003.jpg
    Jul31_0003.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Jul31_0004.jpg
    Jul31_0004.jpg