Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Came First The Cabinet Or The Floor?

Which Came First The Cabinet Or The Floor?

We are finishing our basement and putting in an engineered hardwood floor, that is tongue & grooved, glued together, but floats on top of concrete slab.

The cabinet guy tells me to put the floor in AFTER he builds the 2X4 wall and installs the bar, but the framer that helped me get ready for drywall says to put the floor down BEFORE the cabinets.

Who's right, or what is the recommended way
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

I would say the floor first, but just because it's hard to pour a concrete floor with the cabinets already there...I mean how do you hold them up for the concrete to go underneath them??

Ok funny stuff aside. The cabinets first, then the flooring. Now for the reason: The floor is supposed to float. If it is anchored down by the cabinets, it can't float properly. Leave your 1/4" gap between the flooring and the cabinet, and cover the gap up with trim. All will be good. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I would say the floor first, but just because it's hard to pour a concrete floor with the cabinets already there...I mean how do you hold them up for the concrete to go underneath them??

Ok funny stuff aside. The cabinets first, then the flooring. Now for the reason: The floor is supposed to float. If it is anchored down by the cabinets, it can't float properly. Leave your 1/4" gap between the flooring and the cabinet, and cover the gap up with trim. All will be good. Jim.
    +1 for cabenates first
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-24-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

+2 for jims advice.. even goes for vinly flooring.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

cabinets first, why would you wanna spend all that money on flooring you won't see. plus because it isn't secured to the subfloor i wouldn't want to put cabinets on top.

my thoughts
    chris

For a floating floor you need to install the cabinets first. Just don't forget to shim the cabinets up the thickness your flooring is otherwise you could have trouble fitting any appliances under a counter top.

Great and timely question Kevin I hope you don't mind but I have to add to the question...........How about when using solid hard wood flooring? Any different than with a floating floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    We are finishing our basement and putting in an engineered hardwood floor, that is tongue & grooved, glued together, but floats on top of concrete slab.

The cabinet guy tells me to put the floor in AFTER he builds the 2X4 wall and installs the bar, but the framer that helped me get ready for drywall says to put the floor down BEFORE the cabinets.

Who's right, or what is the recommended way
    I agree with most....cabs first

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Great and timely question Kevin I hope you don't mind but I have to add to the question...........How about when using solid hard wood flooring? Any different than with a floating floor?
    Tom,
    Same for hardwood but leave 1/4" on the flooring and cover with moulding.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I was just about to ask a similar question. I want to put built-ins in a closet where there is carpet that will be changed--eventually. So should I put the built-ins on the current carpet, then when it's changed they will only be able to cut away the part up to the base molding? or should I remove the carpet under the built-ins and put them just on the sub-floor? (leaving the rest of the carpet until we change it.)

THANKS
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie