Which Came First The Cabinet Or The Floor?

Kevin Brown

We are finishing our basement and putting in an engineered hardwood floor, that is tongue & grooved, glued together, but floats on top of concrete slab.

The cabinet guy tells me to put the floor in AFTER he builds the 2X4 wall and installs the bar, but the framer that helped me get ready for drywall says to put the floor down BEFORE the cabinets. :dunno:

Who's right, or what is the recommended way :huh:

I would say the floor first, but just because it's hard to pour a concrete floor with the cabinets already there...I mean how do you hold them up for the concrete to go underneath them?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok funny stuff aside. The cabinets first, then the flooring. Now for the reason: The floor is supposed to float. If it is anchored down by the cabinets, it can't float properly. Leave your 1/4" gap between the flooring and the cabinet, and cover the gap up with trim. All will be good. :thumb: Jim.

I would say the floor first, but just because it's hard to pour a concrete floor with the cabinets already there...I mean how do you hold them up for the concrete to go underneath them?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok funny stuff aside. The cabinets first, then the flooring. Now for the reason: The floor is supposed to float. If it is anchored down by the cabinets, it can't float properly. Leave your 1/4" gap between the flooring and the cabinet, and cover the gap up with trim. All will be good. :thumb: Jim.
+1 for cabenates first

Last edited:
cabinets first, why would you wanna spend all that money on flooring you won't see. plus because it isn't secured to the subfloor i wouldn't want to put cabinets on top.

my thoughts
chris

For a floating floor you need to install the cabinets first. Just don't forget to shim the cabinets up the thickness your flooring is otherwise you could have trouble fitting any appliances under a counter top.

Great and timely question Kevin:thumb: I hope you don't mind but I have to add to the question...........How about when using solid hard wood flooring? Any different than with a floating floor?

We are finishing our basement and putting in an engineered hardwood floor, that is tongue & grooved, glued together, but floats on top of concrete slab.

The cabinet guy tells me to put the floor in AFTER he builds the 2X4 wall and installs the bar, but the framer that helped me get ready for drywall says to put the floor down BEFORE the cabinets. :dunno:

Who's right, or what is the recommended way :huh:

I agree with most....cabs first

I was just about to ask a similar question. I want to put built-ins in a closet where there is carpet that will be changed--eventually. So should I put the built-ins on the current carpet, then when it's changed they will only be able to cut away the part up to the base molding? or should I remove the carpet under the built-ins and put them just on the sub-floor? (leaving the rest of the carpet until we change it.)

THANKS

I was just about to ask a similar question. I want to put built-ins in a closet where there is carpet that will be changed--eventually. So should I put the built-ins on the current carpet, then when it's changed they will only be able to cut away the part up to the base molding? or should I remove the carpet under the built-ins and put them just on the sub-floor? (leaving the rest of the carpet until we change it.)

THANKS

your answer is in red

Thanks everyone for the replies, my internet connection has been down since I first started this thread and just now got going again.

I thought it made since to install after the cabinets, but wanted to check with some people that actually know what they are talking about :thumb: