Thread: ROUSSEAU base plate warped

ROUSSEAU base plate warped

I bought the ROUSSEAU deluxe base plate. After installing and leveling with the included platic screws I can feel that the center of the plate is higher. Even with the router installed (Hitachi m12v) the plate is still high in the center.

I already drilled for the router so I dont suspect I can take it back. I hope this is something that goes away.

Anyone have this problem and does it go away?

From what I've read, the Rousseau plates are intentionally designed with a crown in the center. If I recall correctly, there's some discussion of it in the reviews of that plate on Amazon.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep - that "Crown" is by design. Their intention is well founded, but in practice I've found it a little annoying at times. I don't like my stock rocking around while on the table, but it doesn't usually cause me much harm. I just have to remember that there's a crown.

I can't say i find it to be that big of an advantage. The idea is that your stock should ride on the crown and therefore always have a consistent depth. I can't say I notice any improvements, and had I paid closer attention to the packaging, I wouldn't have gotten it. It isn't bad, I just don't think it's really a worthwhile change. Flat always worked in the past, for me.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I've got the same plate, and I've gotten great usage out of it, but there is a trick to taking most of the crown out of it.

Here is what I did, and it worked for me, you mileage may vary!

Put the router on the plate, don't tighten the screws that hold the router to the plate all the way down, make them snug.

Put the plate in the table, make sure all the sides are level with the sides of the table, then just loosen the screws holding the plate 1/2 a turn, just so they are not snug anymore.

I found that after I did this, the plate was a lot less crowned, as the weight of the router, and the plate not tight to the router let the plate sag just a touch.

Now tighten the four screws up, tight, if they are North South East and West, go N to S then W to East.

Check it again, my results were that the crown was still there, but a LOT less pronounced.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Stu,

I'll give it a try. I am working on the fence right now and the motorized riser system. I think it's going to work but I need to find a spare power screw driver I dont need (good luck) for the drive system.