Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: garden tractor woes

garden tractor woes

I picked up my Crafstmen riding mower from the (not)fix-it shop. Paid for the 'work'. Took it home, tried to mow, engine died. Brought back, owner of shop said nothing was wrong and wouldn't even try to re-fix. I didn't argue. At that point I wouldn't want him working on it anyway. Brought to another shop with a good reputation. Ran perfect for him. Of course. But I left it anyway. If it wouldn't run at home again I would just have to haul it someplace. He'll check out and let me know.
    Cows welcome on my place, plenty of grass for them at moment.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I know what it is -- Near Mt. Home AR is a supernatural magnetic disturbance location.. this causes many anomalies with electricity-- especially ignitions systems and you found it...
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Do you think the issue is spark or fuel?

Little motors are usually pretty easy to trouble shoot. My method is if it doesn't start, take the carb apart, clean it, put it back in and usually it works....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I think Paul got it right.
    Brought it home, unloaded went up the hill to start mowing, put blades in gear and started. Died. Ded.
    Started again, sorta choked enuf for me to get to road where I could reload onto trailer.
    Took back to fixit shop. Worked perfect. Shop owner now convinced I'm nuts. Took to a friends who is good with things mechanical. Worked perfect. Confirmed what he already knew. I'm nuts.
    Took to another fixit shop. Worked perfect. He is beginning to think I'm nuts. Left it there. He said it will be ready in a week.
    Right now we have fawns in yard but hard to see them. Grass is taller than they are.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

There is a float in a silver container near the engine. Follow the fuel line to it. If i remember right, there is a screw that holds it together. Open it up and clean it out.

I had a craftsman that did that and that solved the issue.

Good luck...I know how aggravating it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I think Paul got it right.
    Brought it home, unloaded went up the hill to start mowing, put blades in gear and started. Died. Ded.
    Started again, sorta choked enuf for me to get to road where I could reload onto trailer.
    Took back to fixit shop. Worked perfect. Shop owner now convinced I'm nuts. Took to a friends who is good with things mechanical. Worked perfect. Confirmed what he already knew. I'm nuts.
    Took to another fixit shop. Worked perfect. He is beginning to think I'm nuts. Left it there. He said it will be ready in a week.
    Right now we have fawns in yard but hard to see them. Grass is taller than they are.
    Frank, the obvious solution is that you simply need to take your lawn to these places where your mower runs flawlessly. Sorry to see you're having trouble.

Along the lines of Paul's comment, I have a friend who swears she must have some type of magnetic interference within her body. If she wears an electronic wristwatch, it'll die within weeks. Yet her mechanical watches last for years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Frank My question is are they actually mowing with it or just running the engine. After fixing things of all types from1967 until I retired a year one of my secrets was to try and duplicate the problem exactly as it happened.

As simple a concept as that seem I don't think 10 percent of those that maintain things for a living have the sense to do that. If dies mowing tall grass then they should check it mowing tall grass. If it dies going up or down hill they need to try that before calling it good.

A couple of questions does it just die like you shut off the key. Or does it sputter and stall or slow down.
    If its the first there is a good chance it's one of the safety switches or the wiring to them..

Garry

Sounds like a short between the steering wheel and seat.

Sorry Frank, I couldn't resist.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

+1 for Garry....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    A couple of things that I have run into. The fuel line to the carb breaking down on the inside a flacking off. This plugs the hole into the needle valve and starves it for fuel. I know people says they don't get grass in the tank when they refill, but on some units that take the gas out of the tank from the top there is a 90 degree elbow. Grass can't make the cornor and with time will pretty much plug off the fuel line. I have had people wax their units including the gas cap and plug the vent in the cap with wax. If you can choke it enough to keep it running I would say that the problem is fuel related.