Book Recommendation: Cabinetmaking and Millwork by John L. Feirer

Terrific book! I bought a used copy online for a few dollars, and it's great. I didn't realize it before getting my copy that it seems to be an old textbook of sorts for those studying the trade of Cabinetmaking.

It was first published in 1967, and some things are dated--like the photos of trendy kitchens.....and instructions on being sure to tuck in your tie when you're working with machinery.....:D but overall it's not dated at all. I was surprised to see that the woodworking techniques explained and described are almost exactly the same as today.

Power tools have evolved in 40 years, but great woodworking is very much the same. I highly recommend the book. It's a big fat text of over 900 pages with very detailed chapters on tons of tools, tons of techniques, wood, design, and other.....

Cynthia

I've got an old text book that I got from my grandfather when he passed, it is what he used to teach himself wood working right after he got back from WWII, it too is dated, but there is a wealth of info in it for sure!

I like to buy the early edition of woodworking books, as I am looking for the hand tool techniques. Later versions tend to incorporate machine work to make them more "modern".

Someone is going to mention Ernst Joyce's "Encyclopedia of Furniture Making" as a great comprehensive book on woodworking, so I thought I will beat them to it.

I have an original copy of this John Feirer book which I bought when I first started to work wood.

I found the text book format useful since I knew so little.
I still refer to the book from time to time.

Woodworking is "evolutionary" not "revolutionary". The tools may change some, but the basic techniques don't.

Last year I finally got a lathe. While you'll see discussions of the different lathes, features, and accessories, the basic tool hasn't changed since ancient times.