Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass around opportunity, Going to Antonio Martinez'

Pass around opportunity, Going to Antonio Martinez'

Well folks, been pretty busy lately so haven't been posting as much, still stop in but time is short. Parent's new home on our farm is getting rebuilt and enclosed, oldest daughter getting married Sept. 5th on our farm, wife has broken bones in her foot and we seem to be logging the miles going to doctors visits. So, on to my reason for posting. I pm'ed Vaughn and actually got "THE OFFICIAL OKEY DOKEY" to do this and he is participating. This is for turners only and actually, Vaughn will start this deal by being the first participant, I will be in as the last participant and I am looking for the FIRST FIVE TURNERS THAT SIGN UP. Here is the deal.

Pass around - - - Pendant Mandrel

This is an opportunity to actually use a tool you don't own. I own it and hope you all use it but don't abuse it/loose it. What is a pendant mandrel??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	47523

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	47524

You can make earrings, pendants for watch fobs, necklaces, all kinds of things. You screw it onto your lathe, double stick tape a small piece of wood (dry wood, wet wood tends to "fly", I will send some tape along) and go at it. I didn't get any specific instructions with it, but what I have found is I can detail a very thin piece of wood on it with it being driven in the center position. Then by moving the center drive from the back to offset, you can really make a neat design. To continue that design around the circumference of the piece of wood taped on, remove the four screws, move it however many holes you want and rescrew it on and make the same cut. Then take the screws out and move the same number of holes and redo again. Repeating this procedure and cut will provide a complete design. It is interesting and I have played with it but all of my turning things are sitting right now as I am building feed bunks and working dawn til dark around the farm.

Rules:

1. Upon the pendant mandrel getting to your home, you have five days to play with it. Upon the end of your five days, pass it on to the next participant in the list (I will try to have preposted labels in the box). If you don't foresee five days in your future either pass on this opportunity or when you get the box and your time doesn't allow it, send it on. Please don't hold it for "that day I get to the shop".

2. Write up your experiences and post some photos of the things you made using this pendant mandrel. That is all I ask of you using a new tool I haven't used much. I want to see different ideas/suggestions/etc from you to better utilize this when I do have the time this winter to turn.

Participants:

First: Vaughn (he can help set the standard for writing a review and posting pictures)

Last: Me (I do want this back as I do plan on using it this winter!, by being last it ends up back at home).

FIRST FIVE TO SIGN UP in a post below.

1. Antonio Martinez

2. Chuck Thoits

3. Bruce Shiverdecker

4. Brent Dowell

5.John Daugherty

No gimmick, no sales pitch, I don't make these, don't know the guy that made them, bought a couple last year, my students either love it or hate it. It will teach you to cut lightly! Honestly, I saw a version of this on another forum I visit, a guy sent around a tool for those that didn't own it to get a chance to hold/use/carry it for a week. Thought it an excellent idea. This is a tool I thought some might not have, might not buy without knowing its real opportunities. So, as soon as I hit the SUBMIT NEW THREAD button on this thread, THE FIRST FIVE will be given this opportunity.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 08-19-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added Antonio Martinez
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Cool Idea Jonathan, If I didn 't have so much on my plate I'd jump in.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, it is explained well enough? I worried about that.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Plane as can be, Jon, get it use it pass it on, don't hang on to it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Jon

I'd be in on this, but, the shipping and time to ship is too much, plus, I'm in a similar boat as Don, too much going on, and I've got a big (for me) build in the works, so I'll pass.

Great opportunity for sure, Kudo's Jonathan!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Cool. This promises to be fun. Thanks for the idea and the willingness to start it up. Now I've gotta start searching the Intarwebs for some examples of things other people have done with them.

To maximize the exposure to this mandrel, are there any LA area turners who'd like to come by my shop and give it a test spin? (Mohammad and Dan, I'm looking at you guys. Glenn and Jim too, if they feel like the drive. ) I'm assuming I'll have it over a weekend, so I'm sure I could fit a group turning day into the schedule.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Mighty nice of you Jonathan
    If I was any good at turning I'd give it a go. But I would just screw it up. Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes.
    Another wedding
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Cool. This promises to be fun. Thanks for the idea and the willingness to start it up. Now I've gotta start searching the Intarwebs for some examples of things other people have done with them.

To maximize the exposure to this mandrel, are there any LA area turners who'd like to come by my shop and give it a test spin? (Mohammad and Dan, I'm looking at you guys. Glenn and Jim too, if they feel like the drive. ) I'm assuming I'll have it over a weekend, so I'm sure I could fit a group turning day into the schedule.
    If you or anyone else getting this pendant mandrel put together a group or another turner to your shop, most definitely keep it over a weekend for this type of activity. Hadn't thought of that situation, that would be fun for all involved and really get the thoughts going!
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Mighty nice of you Jonathan
    If I was any good at turning I'd give it a go. But I would just screw it up. Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes.
    Another wedding
    Bob, put yourself in. All that matters is you use it and learn. You would have to work hard at "screwing it up". Worst case scenario here, you might find a tool you don't have and can't live without! It sounds complicated, but in actuality it is easy and produces really neat discs of wood with intricate designs.
    Jon