This Should Buff Right Out

thats a fresh car, how do you pop it out of gear to roll down hill without have a foot on the brake and the gear shift? also how does the bear get in and back out..they normally dont open doors,, but that car is trashed and that was bear crap!!!

Many years ago, I had a buddy that grew up in Big Timber, Montana, and did Summer work in Yellowstone Park. He told the story of having a Summer work superviser that was a a real ogre to work for. He really went out of his way to make life miserable for the kids on his crew.

Anyway... it seems that around mid-summer, the ogre left his car unlocked, and at the same time a momma bear and her cub were raiding a nearby garbage can. One of the disgruntled workers managed to lure the cub into the ogre's car, using his lunch as bait. As soon as the cub was in the car, the guy slammed the door and ran, leaving a scared cub in the car, and a mad momma outside it.

Between the cub tearing up the whole inside trying to get out, and momma bear tearing up the outside trying to get to her cub, the car was pretty much demolished.

I really don't know how true it was, but it sure made a good story the way Epp told it!

thats a fresh car, how do you pop it out of gear to roll down hill without have a foot on the brake and the gear shift? also how does the bear get in and back out..they normally dont open doors,, but that car is trashed and that was bear crap!!!

Me thinks you have something here Sherlock, perhaps Mr. adjuster will ask the same questions especially when "I need a new one " is mentioned. Guy was pretty confident in that regard.

Could have been a set up rolling it down there and leaving something in the car for a bear then closing the door to make the bear go crazy and rip it apart to get out.

Seems a little on the suspicious side when i think that i cannot get my key out of my car without it going into park.:huh:

Back in the ol country less than $100 would get your car torched if you did not like it or could not pay for it. But the adjusters got wise to the issue. People had generally already tried selling the vehicle in the papers and then all calls to the insurance co were recorded and reviewed. Wife can tell a few stories in this regard. "people are funny critters" eh Frank.:)

Last edited:

I'm guessing the bear was strong enough to muscle the gear shift past the safety interlocks.

Haven't any of y'all ever worked a stick-shift????

I guess that's what happens when you let machines do all your thinkin' for ya. :rofl:

-Kevin in Indy

Considering it was a 17-year-old kid who owned the car (and the fact that it was a 4-door Corolla), I suspect it was an automatic. :p One of the articles I read also mentioned it getting knocked out of Park.

Haven't any of y'all ever worked a stick-shift????

Considering it was a 17-year-old kid who owned the car (and the fact that it was a 4-door Corolla), I suspect it was an automatic.

I watched the video again, but he never gave a view of the pedals or the gear shift, so I really couldn't tell if it was auto or manual. However, this news story claims it was an automatic: http://newslite.tv/2010/07/26/hungry-bear-steals-car-crashes.html