Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elementary Turning Blank Question

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Elementary Turning Blank Question

Hi all,

Okay, I don't turn and know nothing about turning. In another thread I discuss cutting down several knotty maples in my yard. My question is, in order to cut/save some "turning blanks" for my lathe-mongering Family, how do I cut them?

1. Are they just square blocks of wood with a knot or burl in the center?

2. I understand I should coat them with Anchorseal (assuming I can get it in Canada) while they are waiting for a new home. Is there any substitution for Anchorseal? Beeswax?

3. How big should the blank be? How much margin do I leave around each knot or burl?

4. Should I remove the bark before coating them? and if so, how? with what tool?

THANKS
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

If your "lathe-mongering Family" is going to pick them up, just save some sections and let them do more of the work. Try not to cut through the middle of a burl (unless it is huge). The portion just above ground level will likely have some curly figure it in that they will love. If you need to cut it up for some reason, best to talk to the lathe owners about what size they want.

This site has a brief description o cutting a basic bowl blank...

http://www.nestlerode.org/Fun_with_Chainsaw/turning_blanks.php

Burls would be handled a bit differently, but this the basics.

Cynthia as to preserving them you can coat the ends with pva paint if you have some lying around. Color wont matter just need to seal the ends.

BYW if you really want to get fancy and have a substitute for anchor seal in Canada you can get this at Lee Valley and its meant to do the same thing.

As to how to cut them i will leave to the turners here to comment on. My skills and knowledge in that department leave a lot to be desired.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Cynthia as to preserving them you can coat the ends with pva paint if you have some lying around. Color wont matter just need to seal the ends.

BYW if you really want to get fancy and have a substitute for anchor seal in Canada you can get this at Lee Valley and its meant to do the same thing.

As to how to cut them i will leave to the turners here to comment on. My skills and knowledge in that department leave a lot to be desired.
    Thanks everyone:

Rob, what is "PVA" paint? I don't know about the fancy part, but I will be driving by a Lee Valley next month........
    AKA The Rookie

Just your normal water based house paint. Acrylic paint. Its cheap if you have some left over cans or your turner family might have some. Rather than you shelling out for special stuff. Save the coin for tools of your own.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Just your normal water based house paint. Acrylic paint. Its cheap if you have some left over cans or your turner family might have some. Rather than you shelling out for special stuff. Save the coin for tools of your own.
    Latex Paint
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Another cheap way to seal the ends, though not as good as a green wood sealer like Anchor Seal, is take regular white glue, and mix it 2/3 glue 1/3 warm water, then paint that on.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks all.

If I'm sealing big pieces, should I put sealer over the bark too?
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Thanks all.

If I'm sealing big pieces, should I put sealer over the bark too?
    YUp....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward