Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Switch Question

Drill Press Switch Question

I am having trouble finding another factory switch to restore the drill press i bought......Pictures are of the label and the house switch someone put on it...........the rest is all original...........the symbol on it is CI and below says Industrial tool company............anybody have any ideas on where to look on the web for parts ?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill Press-5.jpg   Label.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dan, it is Asian-made or American-made? If it's Asian, I suspect it's a generic machine (pre-Harbor Freight and Grizzly) and you might have trouble finding any real references for that brand. If it's American, perhaps the guys over at owwm.org might have some ideas.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The switch in the picture looks like an ordinary household wall switch.
    And, I'll betcha it is borderline being adequate for the machine.
    And, I'll also betcha almost any switch being offered anywhere for tools will work. Might require minor modification to mount but that is not a big deal. Good switches are not expensive.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Safe...e-Switch/G8988
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks ............ill check both places.......ill let you know

Vaughn.........all I can find on it is on the motor it says Chicago Industrial Tool Company......other than the label I posted......but ill look a bit otherwise ill see if a replacement switch will work............thanks
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 07-28-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dan, considering this thread is about the only thing Google found searching for "Chicago Industrial Tool Company" (well, that and placeholder pages for a non-existent manual at an online manual site), I'm guessing it's not old American iron. I'd go with one of the replacement switches along the lines of the one Frank pointed to, and if need be, fabricate a mounting plate out of aluminum or steel.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Get rid of that light switch and get a real switch, should not cost much at all.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Dan, considering this thread is about the only thing Google found searching for "Chicago Industrial Tool Company" ...
    I wondered about that name, too. Harbor Freight used to sell "Chicago Something-or Other" tools, so I wonder if this might be one of their older models?

Anyway, whether it is or not doesn't matter. If the existing switch cavity is big enough to hold that household switch, it'll probably hold any one of the two-button tool switches from the many different vendors that offer them.

Also, Jet used to sell a replacement part switch that was pretty economical. P/N 994542 if they still carry it.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 07-28-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Your Drill Press looks like my Continental DP 14-500. Downloading the Grizzly manuals and parts list for G7943 and G7944 might be helpful to you. Like Frank suggested look for a switch at Grizzlys too. I found this site by googling "Continental 14-500".
    Tom's is the twin of mine. I have been waiting (procrastinating) until I finish putting a stand together before I rebuild it. If anyone has a suggestion on what bearings to use and where to get them I'd be grateful. -Jack

Jack I was just getting ready to post here and say that it does look alot like my drill press.
    Dan I would not know where to get a switch but I can get you good close photos of my switchs if you want them.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Tom.............sure post them and ill be glad to see how you put yours on your press............thanks Dan