New Dust Collect

Picked this up short time ago. Can't remember if I posted or not. $50 cash, works great.

IMG_0920.jpg

I was thinking of getting one of those. I do have a question. What's better: making a Thien baffle or using a separate trash-can separator (or both!). My understanding is that the trash can would prevent heavy chips from hitting the impeller and provide easier cleanup. What do yall recommend?

Jeff, it's my understanding that having a stand-alone separator will cause a bit of loss in airflow, but as you mentioned, it'll keep the impeller from taking a bad hit and make cleanup easier. In my case, I didn't really have the room for a separate separator, but so far my impeller has munched up anything that's been thrown at it. (Including the dust bag from my CMS. Protip: Don't use the 4" DC hose to suck the dust out of your CMS dust bag.) :p

One issue I've had with the built-in Thien baffle has been if you do suck up something like a paper towel or shop rag, it can get hung up in the baffle. When that happens, it disturbs the airflow and tends to send a lot of dust into the filter. One of my projects for today is to dismantle my DC to clear the CMS bag out of the baffle. Ever since my little "accident" with the bag, I've noticed that the chips don't spiral down into the lower bag they way they usually do. I'm betting my filter is taking on a lot of junk right now.

Last edited: