Papa Bear woodworks....lots of pics.

Steve Ash

No this isn't my shop, but it would be my dream shop....

Last spring I was invited to go see Pap Bear's shop, the owners name is Joe Mesh and he is a heck of a nice guy. Someone who will share a ton of knowledge if you can soak it all in.

Joe specializes in tables, and he has done into the thousands...he serial numbers each of them. He is currently building a cherry conference table that is 32 feet long and 16 feet wide. Pictures of that a bit later.

Joe and his sons mostly have old machinery dating into the turn of the century with a few newer and the newest being his CNC router which he gave us a bit of a demonstration. Kind of neat seeing the old machines and then a computer controlled one in a corner all by itself. Joe and his sons completely refurbished these old machines and added todays electronics to them.

Since Larry Merlau's wife and mine were going to do something in the way of shopping , I mentioned to Larry that I should call Joe and ask if we could come up for the day. Joe said "Absolutely, what kind of beer you fellas want?" He is just that kind of a host, always wants his visitors to feel at ease and Welcomes return visits.

I took a lot of pictures and I'm going to post them, but to try to tell a story to go with each picture would take up all the bandwidth...so I am just going to post pictures and if anyone has any questions on a certain tool I or Larry might try to answer them.

There were 4 of us that went to Joes, Larry, myself, my oldest brother Dennis and my son Steve Jr. We had a great time and WILL be going back again.

Attachments

• 100_3164.jpg
    100_3164.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_3192.jpg
    100_3192.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_3182.jpg
    100_3182.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_3181.jpg
    100_3181.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_3180.jpg
    100_3180.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_3179.jpg
    100_3179.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_3170.jpg
    100_3170.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_3168.jpg
    100_3168.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_3166.jpg
    100_3166.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_3165.jpg
    100_3165.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
His dust collector uses a 30 H.P. motor and his sawdust bin is as big as a truck. He said he burns his sawdust.

The old drum sander is certainly impressive weighing in at 18.000 lbs. The dust hood retracts up into the ceiling, quite a sight to see a early turn of the century machine with all the new electronics added.

Attachments

• 100_3185.jpg
    100_3185.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3190.jpg
    100_3190.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_3189.jpg
    100_3189.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_3187.jpg
    100_3187.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_3186.jpg
    100_3186.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_3169.jpg
    100_3169.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 150
Here is the conference table he is currently working on, all cherry. He cut out the top on his CNC machine which was in the above pictures.

Quite a shop and Joe is a super friendly guy that I am looking forward to visiting again.

Thanks for looking......

Attachments

• 100_3175.jpg
    100_3175.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_3176.jpg
    100_3176.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_3196.jpg
    100_3196.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 121
Wowsers! :eek: That's some impressive machinery, and impressive work. It's cool to see the old and the new being used together like that.

I love the power drop for the drum sander. That's about the size of my DC ductwork. :p

That is pretty impressive!

What is the conference table for? It looks like the type of thing you'd see in a hearing room?

That is pretty impressive!

What is the conference table for? It looks like the type of thing you'd see in a hearing room?

Brad, the table is going over to the Farm Bureau main office in Lansing. I know you are familiar with Lansing so you might know where the building is...West Saginaw, on the south side of the road, near Horrocks Nursery.

He also mentioned that he would love to have a shop tour for all the Guild members after he got that huge drum sander moved to a different part of his shop.

incredible. i don't know what half those machines are so asking questions is pointless..:D

thanks for sharing steve, i wish i could visit a shop like that.

the table is awesome....one question...how do you deliver something like that.

please thank joe and his sons for allowing you to share this with all of us.

thanks
chris

a wood worker see's

a hint of the pearly gates:) it was my forst time there and as you walk in you go threw his show room and you get glimpse of what is to come.. you go threw what you know is part of the main shop to enter enter in to the larger portion and what do you see but the biggest table i had ever seen:eek: and the guy thats making it has a heart just as big.. i owe steve big time for allowing me to go along to see it.. and we al had a great time.. the most amzing part for me was what ehy done with old machinery to make it do todays work. they have got a amazing machinery intellect as well as woodworking skills.. thanks again steve for lettin me go.. just a note for vaughne this had a 30 hp motor to turn a 6 or 8 ft impellor on his little Dust Collector now thats a tricked up DC:thumb:

Thanks Steve,
What a wonderful trip that must have been. From what you say he sounds laid back but they must crank out the work when it comes time. Fine tour, thanks again.
Shaz

Just the massivness of those machines bowled me over. Sumptin' about that radial arm saw that screams "BE CAREFUL".
I would just love to have that bandsaw.
I know it's wrong, but I am envious of that conference table. I serve on a state Board and our conference table is a pretty sorry thing, small and lots of leg bumpers underneath. What he is making there would be impressive, to say the least.

When I saw the title "Papa Bear's Workshop" I had an image of cutesy folk with scroll saws and hot melt glue. Boy how wrong can I be?:eek:

That is a truly impressive collection of machines. They must be incredibly skilled at machine work. Can you imagine the amount of maintenance that must go on there!!

maintence???

jesse i dont think its that bad theyhave some of the stuff hooked up to automatic lubing. i am tellin ya you gotta see what this son had done witht he old tools he has a vision most woould die for.. his dad told us that when he was just akid on ticycle he had the imagination and comprehension to hook up a red wagon with asamll generator in it to hav eth radio play while he rode the tryctcle.. i am teel ya this son is genuis rated in my book,, but we all know i am down the totoem pole on smarts but i do have one heck of a freind in steve..:D

steve, each time you show this shop i`m impressed! very nice!

tod, you can imagine how I feel each time I have been able to see it in person.

As a side note....Joe told us that he has never used a table saw in his shop, he did buy one once, fixed it up and sold it.

I really wish I would have taken pictures of his show room and his finish room....maybe next time.

I am out working in my puny shop, with my tiny tools, (comparatively speaking) and I kept wondering if Joe started out like this....:huh: I guess I have room to grow :rofl: