End Table

Jeb Taylor

This is a walnut and maple end table I built for my reading chair. So far I've put a single coat of BLO on it, not sure what to do next. I've never done any elaborate finishing before. I typically use oil, wipe on poly, and wax. Any alternative suggestions?

The dovetails didn't turn out very well, so I plan to redo the inside of the drawer at a later date when I have more skill. But since it's my reading table, I decided I'd leave them. I did use screws to fasten the drawer front on so it will be easy to change over. I haven't made my mind up on a drawer pull yet, I got to look around and find something that jumps out at me.

The top is another experiment of mine, not sure how it will turn out. I figure if the miters split from wood expansion, I will cut the ends off and make a real breadboard end. I just like the way this looks better. I grooved all the way around the center board and in the 45's for a 1/4" x 1" spline. The center board is also only 10" wide, so I'm hoping it's enough to keep it all together.

Attachments

• IMG_1090_1.jpg
    IMG_1090_1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1091_1.jpg
    IMG_1091_1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1092_1.jpg
    IMG_1092_1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1093_1.jpg
    IMG_1093_1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1094_1.jpg
    IMG_1094_1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 49
The top is another experiment of mine, not sure how it will turn out. I figure if the miters split from wood expansion, I will cut the ends off and make a real breadboard end. I just like the way this looks better. I grooved all the way around the center board and in the 45's for a 1/4" x 1" spline. The center board is also only 10" wide, so I'm hoping it's enough to keep it all together.
That was my thought when I saw it. Time will tell! Looks good!:thumb:

Very very nice Jeb and as John said nice lines. great size for a reading table too.

I definitely cannot help in the finishing dept. I am way behind you on that subject. Wipe on poly is it for me. :D :thumb:

Next project post some progress shots as you go along would be nice to follow. So i take it only the draw is maple?

That is a beautiful piece Jeb. If it will not be used to set alcoholic drinks on or be used as a footrest while removing toenail polish, you won't need something tough and plasticy like poly. I like BLO followed by clear dewaxed shellac for walnut.

Another finish is a 1:1:1 mix of BLO, oil based varnish and mineral spirits as I used on this walnut. I left the last coat without completely rubbing off the excess. This gave it a little higher gloss but took a month to cure ;-) If you wipe it on, wait about 15 minutes and wipe it off like you had changed your mind it will dry to touch in a day or two and cure in about a week.

Attachments

• Ped-Table-Maloof-post-2.jpg
    Ped-Table-Maloof-post-2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 10
Other more knowledgeable ones can and have offered opinions on finish, I can just say I see nothing wrong with the dove tails and that top is awesome, nice piece Jeb:thumb:

Great-looking table, Jeb. :thumb: Beautiful wood, and I like the simple, clean design. Another finishing option along the lines of the mix Glenn suggested would be one of the commercial wipe-on oil/varnish blends like Minwax Antique Oil or Formby's Tung Oil Finish. You can get anything from a satin to a high gloss, depending on how many coats you apply and how you buff it out.

Thanks for the comments. I had thought about the oil/varnash/ms blend or a premix variant of that instead of poly. Does that still give some resistance to the occasional drink placed on it?

Also how many coats does it need, does the BLO have to be 100% cured when it's applied? I have to move in about 2.5 weeks so I don't want to get in the middle of any long finishing procedure. I might wait until I get moved to do the finish though.

Another question, I have read that poly will yellow if left in the sun. Does that yellowing show up on a piece as dark as this, or is it only obvious on lighter woods?

Thanks for the comments. I had thought about the oil/varnash/ms blend or a premix variant of that instead of poly. Does that still give some resistance to the occasional drink placed on it?

Also how many coats does it need, does the BLO have to be 100% cured when it's applied? I have to move in about 2.5 weeks so I don't want to get in the middle of any long finishing procedure. I might wait until I get moved to do the finish though.

Another question, I have read that poly will yellow if left in the sun. Does that yellowing show up on a piece as dark as this, or is it only obvious on lighter woods?

the blo needs to be dry before anything goes over it, they say if yu can smell it its not dry.. the wipe on poly for this job would be my choice it drys pretty fast and is wear resitant, nice grain match on the top jeb and the straigh grain in the stiles is a good approach as well.. the dove tails look good to me and the yeloowing you mention will happen in any wood walnut has a tendency to turn golden after several years of sunlight.. nice table and lookun forward the next project jeb:thumb::thumb:

There's gaps around 1/32-1/16" on the ends of the dovetails. I think in hindsite I cut the middle of the lines on the pins. I plan to use a sharper pencil to make a finer line, and cut just inside of them next time. Some sawing practice would be useful too.