Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Display Case

Art Display Case

I built this art display case for the local high school where I work. I've done lots of display cases of one sort or another at the school over the time I've been there. This case is 84" tall 72" wide with a 24" base height and a 60" upper cabinet. It has tempered glass in the sides and the bypass doors with double strength mirrors and 1/4" plate shelving.

The mirrors kinda mess with the picture. Nothing is in or behind the cabinet, that is across the hall.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Hi Jim,
    Having seen it with out the glass, it is nice to see it now completed. It is in itself a show piece. Congratulations.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

That came out real nice, Jim. Is it oak? Looks like it'll put up with a lot of kids over the years.

And you should have kept quiet about the mirrored back. People would have been trying to figure out why you covered up the fire extinguisher with the new cabinet. Or you could have put a bunch of artwork across the hall, so the cabinet looked full, even when it's empty.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

nice work jim!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Nicely done Jim! Now, when do all those trophies go in?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Too nice for a tile and concrete block setting.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Very nice Jim, as is all of your work.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Great work Jim. Not many schools, or anywhere else for that matter, are lucky enought to have a guy with your talents around. It seems like that I remember that last year you were thinking about retireing early and going into woodworking full time as a business. I guess that you decided to stay on for a while. LUCKY SCHOOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Great work Jim. Not many schools, or anywhere else for that matter, are lucky enought to have a guy with your talents around. It seems like that I remember that last year you were thinking about retireing early and going into woodworking full time as a business. I guess that you decided to stay on for a while. LUCKY SCHOOL!!!!

Yes Allen, you are right that I'm planning to retire, but my plan is to retire at the end of this school year. It's a scary thing though since I won't be drawing that regular paycheck each month, but I will get to salute the mailbox once each month as teacher retirement will be sending me a check. I will be 50 in April and that is still years away from SS even if it is still around when I reach 62. The wife is with me so I think I will give it a try. I can always become a Wal-Mart door greeter.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jim,
    I moved you post over here. I want as many as possible to be able to see your fine work.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward