Art Display Case

Jim Hager

I built this art display case for the local high school where I work. I've done lots of display cases of one sort or another at the school over the time I've been there. This case is 84" tall 72" wide with a 24" base height and a 60" upper cabinet. It has tempered glass in the sides and the bypass doors with double strength mirrors and 1/4" plate shelving.

The mirrors kinda mess with the picture. Nothing is in or behind the cabinet, that is across the hall.

Attachments

• WinterSpring 07 005.jpg
    WinterSpring 07 005.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 74
  • WinterSpring 07 006.jpg
    WinterSpring 07 006.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 32
  • WinterSpring 07 007.jpg
    WinterSpring 07 007.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 45
That came out real nice, Jim. Is it oak? Looks like it'll put up with a lot of kids over the years.

And you should have kept quiet about the mirrored back. ;) People would have been trying to figure out why you covered up the fire extinguisher with the new cabinet. :huh: Or you could have put a bunch of artwork across the hall, so the cabinet looked full, even when it's empty. :D

Great work Jim. Not many schools, or anywhere else for that matter, are lucky enought to have a guy with your talents around. It seems like that I remember that last year you were thinking about retireing early and going into woodworking full time as a business. I guess that you decided to stay on for a while. LUCKY SCHOOL!!!!

Great work Jim. Not many schools, or anywhere else for that matter, are lucky enought to have a guy with your talents around. It seems like that I remember that last year you were thinking about retireing early and going into woodworking full time as a business. I guess that you decided to stay on for a while. LUCKY SCHOOL!!!!

Yes Allen, you are right that I'm planning to retire, but my plan is to retire at the end of this school year. It's a scary thing though since I won't be drawing that regular paycheck each month, but I will get to salute the mailbox once each month as teacher retirement will be sending me a check. I will be 50 in April and that is still years away from SS even if it is still around when I reach 62. The wife is with me so I think I will give it a try. I can always become a Wal-Mart door greeter.:wave: :rofl: