Twin Bookcases

Dom DiCara

Okay...I am just about done with the assembly and will get started tomorrow on the sanding. I made them a little extra sturdy, because one of my daughters has a tendency to be very hard on furniture.

Construction is of 3/4 oak ply, with pine 1' stock. The units measure 70 5/8 tall and 38 in width. 2 Large shelves at the bottom for the kids textbooks and smaller shelves to the top. The original design called for the units to be connected, but the wife changed her mind at the last minute.

Also, since the units are so tall, I have hidden brackets attached in the back to secure to the wall. When I get the finish on them I will post again.

Attachments

• bookcase1.jpg
    bookcase1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 77
  • bookcase2.jpg
    bookcase2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 72
  • bookcase 3.jpg
    bookcase 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 67
Good idea to anchor them to the wall Dom.:thumb: Sturdy looking project you have made. How do you plan to finish them?

Stain and Urethane.....I have to get a hard finish on them, since the trim is SPF. Also, like I said, I can see my 12 year old doing chin-ups from one of the shelves!:D

Thanks guys. I got a lot of sanding to do. and then the new sprayers should arrive and I can get started. This is the first project I have done in quite a while, so I figured I would start with something basic and then work my way up!

These are the plans that I found on Sketchup, I had to modify a little to make 2 identical units instead of just 2 pieces that would be joined together.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=2f2b56fa91d5cb81b06ce9571a7c292&prevstart=168

Also, if anyone wants to use these....the cutlist that was on the plans is right on the money.

Last edited:
Finished the finishing.....they both were moved inside to make room in the shop

Attachments

• fin bookcase2.JPG
    fin bookcase2.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 23
  • fin bookcase.JPG
    fin bookcase.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 22
  • fin bookcase3.JPG
    fin bookcase3.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 22
  • bookcase1.jpg
    bookcase1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 20
  • bookcase 3.jpg
    bookcase 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
  • bookcase2.jpg
    bookcase2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 12
They look great Dom! And the design lets you put them side by side if you want to.:thumb:

What type of sprayer did you get? I just bought the $40 dollar harbor freight 2 qt gun and pressure pot. Man did the spraying go fast with that setup.

They look great Dom! And the design lets you put them side by side if you want to.:thumb:

What type of sprayer did you get? I just bought the $40 dollar harbor freight 2 qt gun and pressure pot. Man did the spraying go fast with that setup.

Same one probably...I spent about 35 bucks for it.....and it exceeded my expectations totally