911 help

I've been working on this large(for me) chocolate crotch hollow form.yes Larry from one of them large pieces you gave me.:thumb: Well a few min ago as i was trying to get the inside finished, i had a catch. Not a bad catch but enough to tear the foot off.:eek::( The piece just fell slowly to the bed. didn't even hit the floor.This piece is 14x61/2 and i really don't want to loose it if at all possible. Can i glue the foot back on and keep turning it or is there a better way? Pics to show what i'm talking about.
Thanks for all the help ya can give.
Steve

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 75
You can save it. :thumb: I've had the same thing happen several times. I've just glued the foot back on with Titebond or epoxy, then started back to turning the next day. You might need to true up the foot slightly before re-chucking it, but I've never had the glue joint fail on me. (I would reverse the piece, then use the tailstock to clamp the glued tenon in place overnight. Make sure it's lined back up for a good tight joint.) You will also likely need to re-true the piece slightly once you put it back in the chuck, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

You can save it. :thumb: I've had the same thing happen several times. I've just glued the foot back on with Titebond or epoxy, then started back to turning the next day. You might need to true up the foot slightly before re-chucking it, but I've never had the glue joint fail on me. (I would reverse the piece, then use the tailstock to clamp the glued tenon in place overnight. Make sure it's lined back up for a good tight joint.) You will also likely need to re-true the piece slightly once you put it back in the chuck, but that shouldn't be a big problem.
thanks Vaughn that's what i was hoping you would say.:thumb: I'll go back out to the shop after i eat and get it glued back up.

That should work,if your very carefull,but for future referances,try and use a bigger tenon.I would use at least a 4" tenon on a piece that big,as that tenon is to small. I'v had the same thing happen before,but only once since using a larger tenon.

Been there and done that...........ive done what Vaughn is suggesting and its worked out fine.........I have also marked the wood where the jaws were on the broken tennon before removing it because "sometimes" it will be almost perfect when you put it back after the gluing.........either way you can save it................good luck

thanks all.got up this am and it was dry.put on lathe and it did real good.:D Got it hollowed out with out any more problems.Didn't even have to retrue it much.Will remember this And thanks again.
Stu i hope it will look as good as i want. Adding a maple band to it and maybe a finial. well show pics as larry asked me to when he gave me the wood.
Steve