Hi All

Hi all. :wave: Just found my way here after being enthralled with Stu's Dungeon and following the link. Am just getting into woodwork, design and general making things.

I am currently completing a set of double doors (triple glazed oak monsters), that are replacing our old up-and-over garage door. This has been a really interesting learning experience for me. As you may see in the pics, I don't have a lot of space, only a one bay garage type shop. But I am very excited by the idea of having some natural light on cold days.

4847052533_d3f16372e2.jpg

4847672686_158712d01b.jpg

Just need to make sure I dont accidentally smash some wood or something through them :rolleyes:
Am considering some kind of easy put up, take down, protective screening system..

Anyone got some suggestions as to what I should do with my old garage door??

So yeah, hello everyone.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Family Stephen!! :wave:

Glad you could make it.

Saying "One Bay" in your garage can mean a lot of stuff, I see you are in the UK, so I bet your "One Bay" of the garage is a LOT smaller than most North American's "One Bay" of the garage :D

At least you have easy egress :thumb:

Are you worried about theft? I mean if they can see it then they can want to steal it, right? Maybe you should have some sort of lightweight inner door that pops in place when you are not there?

Even just a "C" channel on the bottom and a couple of doodads on the sides and top, kind of like the back of a picture frame. They would be light weight and easy to remove when you want the light. Some of that foam core stuff they use for signs, it is about 6mm thick (1/4" for them Yanks ;) ) and is rigid foam with paper on each side :dunno:

If you are concerned about theft, then I'd put some sort of tasteful grill (thin wrought iron look) on the outside.

Again, welcome to the Family! :wave:

Hi Guys

Wow, hi guys! What a welcome :D.

Will get some photos of the doors in place up later today.

Welcome Stephen. Nice name now do you go by stephen or like me just Steve?

Actually all my friends know me as Bongo:p, but my first attempt at registering with that didn't work out - so Steve, or Bongo, either is good...

Stu:
Nice suggestions, thanks. Interesting point about theft - I am a bit concerned about it, though I do live in one of the lowest crime areas in the UK, but like you say, there certainly is no sense in tempting people... It is in a residential area (part of a row of 5 terraced houses), and my neighbours have already commented on how nice it looks compared to the old garage door (all their garages were converted to living space years ago). So yeah, I don't really want anything that might look 'boarded up' or overly 'industrial'.

Was just thinking some kind of horizontal blinds or something might do the job. Anyone with experience of making any? I have some thin offcuts of oak from making the door that might be useful, but i dunno :dunno:

Since I'm the guy who deleted your original registration (nothing personal...it's just the rule), let me be the first to call you Bongo. :D Our forum profanity rules prevent me from sharing what my friends call me. :rofl:

Welcome to the clubhouse. :wave: I had a stroll through your website, and had a fun read. You put a great twist on recycling and re-purposing things. Looks like Stu's got some company for the "Artful Bodger" moniker, and I mean that in a good way. :thumb:

Hay Vaughn thanks :thumb:

Darren, here's a few pics now we have them in (a most pleasing moment).
Photo was tricky because it is so bright outside.

4849558269_852439b4ed.jpg

The triple glazing, which is very wide, is held in by a screwed on retainer. I spent the best part of two days drilling well over 100 holes, screwing it up tight (using a flexy shaft) with stainless screws, making and fitting plugs to hide the holes, and cutting them flush.

4850187772_72bb691a89.jpg

It is painted white on the outside to fit in..

4850191966_09dc82c260.jpg

On nice days I will be able to throw them open, for the outside'esque feel. Also, reasonably big things can still be moved in and out.

4850193422_ece05269bc.jpg

The view from inside - quite nice. I am almost looking forward to the cold weather to see how they perform...

4850196382_a339fcc388.jpg

So yeah, a lot of work, learning and head scratching and it is coming together, which is nice. Workshop is now pleasant- was down there for ages drinking beer and just sitting chatting with a friend last night :D There is also room to move again :thumb: