Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy COWS is this cool!

Holy COWS is this cool!

I'm moving my shop next month, and I've been shopping around for panel saws. I'm a big fan Striebigs and have found one locally that I might buy.

Poking around on Striebig's website I found this video. I'm starting to think I should save my pennies for one of these:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NufZzSBj8s

I'm not sure what they cost. I'm guessing in the $40k ballpark.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 08-01-2010 at 05:55 AM.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Wow that is some saw. Found this a while ago. You can build your own for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3087.html

Best of Luck!

wow that is quite the saw karl.. they got about everything covered i would say..you would need to do alot of work to warrant that much in a panel saw.. nice piece of machinery though,, acts alot like our paper trimmer at work..i would think you they should have it able to do a complete cut list from the available size of sheet as well with all those registration spots on it. just put a sheet up there let it gather the size and then do the layout of the cuts its elf for best use of the product.. the grooving is a nice feature as well must be multiple cuts to get that huh..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    Wow that is some saw. Found this a while ago. You can build your own for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3087.html

Best of Luck!
    This was my first though when I saw the Streibig... while it's a NICE saw, as much as I would use a panel saw, the home made version would be more economical, plus I could probably use my existing skill saw and only have to buy the wood.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

wow indeed that is one awesome system... I'd hazard a guess it is more like $150,000 possibly higher than that for the full boogie automated model.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    This was my first though when I saw the Streibig... while it's a NICE saw, as much as I would use a panel saw, the home made version would be more economical, plus I could probably use my existing skill saw and only have to buy the wood.
    I agree Chuck...WOW is the best word I can come up with....that thing is a monster....in a good way!.

Someone sent me this mink.....is this what you built?

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/pl...nel-saw-11277/

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    I agree Chuck...
    Someone sent me this mink.....is this what you built?

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/pl...nel-saw-11277/
    No I don't have a panel saw... but if needed one would probably try to build one... last time I used a panel saw was about 20 years ago when I owned my own packing company.... we used plywood sides on our export boxes.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Trust me, a home made jobby vs. even the basic Striebig there is no comparison. I've used a few of their models and the quality has always been top notch, even on the really old ones that have seen alot of hours. If you didn't need one that often, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I plan doing almost all of my sheet stock cutting with one. Something they don't show on the video is that you can stack up three sheets at a time and whack through em' in a hurry. Which is nice for bulk cutting partitions, ends, or just doing the rips for decks.

I just thought the automatic cutting was slick. You can be stacking, or getting the next sheet ready while its cutting. A sharp blade and a constant feed rate would leave a very clean cut.

Its not really automated, you can load a cutlist, but I don't think it does nesting the way a point to point setup would, (which if you're going through enough material is a complete waste anyhow), I think it just loads the sizes and you go from there. There's no control by the machine where the sheet is.
    -Yoda

Dont home depot have panel saws like that. Maybe not the same level of sophistication but look the same in terms of rack and rollers etc.

Wish they had one of these then the cuts would come out better.

Nice machine though. What a load of work that would be needed to justify it.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    What a load of work that would be needed to justify it.
    As long as it makes money, that's all the justification I need.
    -Yoda