I am looking for a used truck and have almost been snared by a scammer's trap. I saw this ad on craigslist.
Might be a great deal so I responded:
I am interested in your truck. Would you please tell me how many miles it has?
Here was the reply that made me wary.
The car it's still available, has 20,000 miles, automatic transmission. It's in perfect condition, no engine/electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. Exterior no scratches, never been repainted, interior no rips/tears/stains, never smoked inside. I have all the car's manuals, 2 spare of keys, title,documents. I'm selling the car because my child of only 19 died 4 months ago in a car accident, a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 10 years old. This Ford F150 Limited Edition Harley Davidson was his car and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The last price is $4,400.
Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. I just need your full name, full shipping address, home/cell # so I can open a case (with no further obligation or fees). eBay will contact you with all the Transaction/shipping details you will need. We will take care of the shipping, so don't worry.
We hope to hear soon from you.
For more pictures here is a link to the car's photo gallery:
Thank you for your interest!
Helen and Frank Sidarra
The response is just screaming SCAM so I decide to play along. This is my response.
No problem. Since I am in Los Angeles and you are in Los Angeles I absolutely require looking at the vehicle before purchase. After that I would be happy to continue the purchase through eBay.
We are located in Morrow, Georgia right now and the car is here with us. I'm under eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program and they work like this:
- You will have the car for 10 days to test drive it, inspect it, go with the car to a mechanical, etc.
- Only after those 10 days you will have to decide if you want to keep the car or not! If you don't like the car or the car is not what I've described to you, you will be fully refunded by eBay in max. 6 hours.
- An Agent from eBay will assist you during this period (time for 10 days) with all that you need.
- The shipping will be made by DAS-Auto Shippers in a sealed container with their program of 2 days door-to-door.
- You will receive the car with all the papers including clean title, bill of sale, spare keys & all the paper work.
- After I will register you as my client, they will contact you by e-mail and also by phone with all the information that you need!
So please let me know if you would like to register you as my client and start the process asap!If so please just get back with your full name and full shipping address and I will get everything started as soon as possible, then eBay will contact you with more further instructions.
Hope to hear soon from you.
Helen and Frank Sidarra
This is a pretty sneaky response because they are referencing real companies but totally misrepresenting how eBays service works.
I am now starting to play with them. My response.
This is OK. My brother in law is a Sheriff's deputy for Clayton County right there where Morrow is. I talked to him and he is free for the next 5 days and could go look at the truck at your soonest convenience. If he cannot meet you my sister could also look at the car and send me pictures.
Please send me your contact info so he can set up a meeting time with you. I am glad you are so flexible in getting the car to California using eBay and DAS. Is the car registered in California or Georgia?
I am busy trying to figure out how I will play this. Wait and see.