Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Oil

Walnut Oil

I went to a WW club meeting a year or two ago. The speaker said that he used Walnut Oil as a finish on turned bowls, platters, etc.

Since I am almost 85 and the program was a couple years ago I have forgotten the process. I have tried to find it in FWW. However, all I get with a search is stuff about Walnut the wood, walnut stain, table tops, etc. So I am appealing to the kind, kindred spirits who can enlighten me. The finish will be on a, basically, cylindrical shaped form.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Jim, I've not used it myself, but I've heard good things about Mike Mahoney's Walnut Oil:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._utility?Args=
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'm pretty sure you can find Walnut oil at Lowe's... I think I saw a can there last time I was wandering through the paint dept.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I bought a bottle at Earth Fare grocery store. I think Fresh Market or other fancy grocery stores probably carry it. I gave about $8 for a 16 oz bottle I think. It will be with in the cooking oil or salad dressing area.

I did look at walmart and publix first and neither one of those carried it.

I have tried walnut oil from the grocery store and have not had good luck with it. It never dried, left an oily ring wherever it sat and developed a strange smell. I was able to re-turn the bowl and got rid of the smell, but decided to try Mahoney's walnut oil finish. It dried and left no oily ring. I now use it mixed with beeswax as my go to utility bowl finish. I recommend Mahoney's instead of grocery store oil.

Walnut Oil Continued

Thanks Guys,

I will return my un-opened grocery store Walnut Oil. Where do you buy Mahoney's Walnut Oil? I will check out Lowe's to see what they have. (Added later: Never mind Mahoney's, I found it at Woodcraft.)

What started this whole routine was the fact that I turned a food thingie. It will probably not come in contact with food---But it might. I want it to be safe. The program I attended said that W.Oil was his choice for food articles and that is why I pursued it.

I think he just rubbed it on, while on the lathe, then buffed it. I don't recall if he diluted it with anything. I don't recall if he waxed it. I was hoping to learn all that stuff.

Perhaps I should have asked a more basic question; how do you treat wood that may come in contact with food?

I love my new lathe. However, I have some definite nostalgia for the one I have for sale.

Thanks again and Enjoy,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-02-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Found Mahoney;s
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Perhaps I should have asked a more basic question; how do you treat wood that may come in contact with food?
    I use a dietary quality mineral oil. Sold in pharmacies as a laxitive. Inexpensive and food safe. Darkens the material somewhat as if it were wet. This is often used for cutting boards and is easily renewed if/when required.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I use a dietary quality mineral oil. Sold in pharmacies as a laxitive. Inexpensive and food safe. Darkens the material somewhat as if it were wet. This is often used for cutting boards and is easily renewed if/when required.
    Same here. Mineral oil is my go-to foodware finish.Back when I was making quite a few cutting boards, I used to wonder what the clerk at the drug store was thinking when I'd show up at the register with six bottles of mineral oil. Especially when I'd say something like "Well, this should get things moving again."
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Same here. I used to wonder what the clerk at the drug store was thinking when I'd show up at the register with six bottles of mineral oil. Especially when I'd say something like "Well, this should get things moving again."
    Shame on you for doing that to some poor unsuspecting clerk who does not know you. On the other hand I would have enjoyed watching that.

Enjoy,

Jim
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Back when I was making quite a few cutting boards, I used to wonder what the clerk at the drug store was thinking when I'd show up at the register with six bottles of mineral oil. Especially when I'd say something like "Well, this should get things moving again."
    That's funny crap right there.