computer luddite question here

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
My brother turned me on to Pandora radio, but you only get 30 free hours of listening per month. Here in the mountains, any kind of radio reception is dismal to say the least.

How do I download music? I have an ipod type device I have never used. I'd like something to plug into some kind of player to listen to while I am working in the "shop" as well as in the house/office.

Budget is under $100.

What do I do and what do I need?

If you have broadband try listening to www.slacker.com.

Also look at the Sandisk Sansa devices. They seem to have one for every wallet.

Amazon has cheap music downloads, so does Walmart.

Carol
You can listen to many real radio stations on line. With XP home I don't load anything extra.

For Example do a search for WIOV which is a Lancaster, Pa area country station...

You should see something like this
------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIOV-FM
Click here to join the Country text club and you could win cool stuff and find out about other great things going on at I 105 WIOV! ...
www.wiov.com/ - Cached - Similar
To Listen Live
Murf & Casey
Contact Us
Concert Calendar
Big I Staff
Community Events
Heard it on WIOV
Out with The Big I 105!
More results from wiov.com »
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Formating will be different but click on "listen live" and you should be able to listen to the live stream... Many if not most stations are streaming thier audio.
I don't listen a lot so I don't know if you run into any limitations or not. Newer versions of Windows Media player should work as installed.

It's a good way to stay in touch with your hometown or a past favorite..

Good Luck with it Garry

As Garry mentioned, there are a lot of over-the-air stations that also broadcast online. There are also a number of independent "Internet Radio" stations out there, too. My current favorite is RadioParadise.com. It's free, has an eclectic playlist, and very high-quality sound. :thumb:

If you want to save songs on your computer so you can upload them to your portable device, probably the most straightforward way is to sign up on iTunes and purchase music from them. There are other online places to buy, but iTunes is hard to beat. If you'd rather not have to pay, you can use something like RipCast to record songs that you listen to from online sources (like real or Internet radio stations). Then once they're recorded and saved on your computer, you just copy them over to your portable device.

i think that for 39.95 a yr carol you can have pandora full time.. i posted a link to it some time back here must be you were away it nice to pick your style or group in pandora and i like radio paridise as well which vaughn hooked me into:)

Thanks, guys, but...

Annual fees are extremely difficult to get rid of. Those companies see my credit card as an annuity for them! If I could buy one year only and re-up at my discretion, it would be a different thing. BTDT. So not going there.

I do not leave my computer on unless I am sitting at it. We have too many power interruptions here. Hard on the electronic devises. Especially this time of the year. I am forever resetting the digital clocks!

I found a Zuni devise with speaker system on Amazon that I will pop for. It is under my budget and that's a good thing. The speakers are only $8. I will get 2, one for inside and one for outside. Now I need to find some sort of an adapter that works with the car radio speakers. Got a couple of trips coming up again.

I did find a site that explains how to download from Pandora. We will see if I can understand it! Or I'll be back! :rofl: And I will look at the other sites you all offered, but I really like how Pandora selects music that I like to hear.

I like the idea of rebroadcasting FM but reception is lousy and I don't leave the computer on, so, not going there either.

As Garry mentioned, there are a lot of over-the-air stations that also broadcast online. There are also a number of independent "Internet Radio" stations out there, too. My current favorite is RadioParadise.com. It's free, has an eclectic playlist, and very high-quality sound. :thumb:

Hey Vaughn, boy you are right about this Radio Paradise, I've been listening to it for the last two hours, I've yet to hear a song that I know, that I've heard before, but, strangely, I'm very much enjoying it :thumb:

Hey Vaughn, boy you are right about this Radio Paradise, I've been listening to it for the last two hours, I've yet to hear a song that I know, that I've heard before, but, strangely, I'm very much enjoying it :thumb:

I've not found any place with a more diverse selection on one channel. You will hear a few familiar songs, but a lot will be stuff you likely wouldn't have heard otherwise.

The last four songs they just played are a pretty good example of the diversity:

Chet Atkins - Take Five
Nick Drake - One Of These Things First
Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - All You Do Is Ta

Every so often they'll play something I don't really like, but it's over in 3 1/2 minutes and on to the next one...and it could be anything.