Fridays Auction

Here is the after action report for the weekends auctions. Friday night was the good one to be at. Counted 6 planes total. 1 got held back as the crowd was leaving and they were afraid the money was leaving. It was a #6 corrugated.

I ended up with 4 of the 5 that were sold. Also picked up some other items.

Stanley Defiance #3 in size. Not sure if that is how Defiance are numbered.

DSCN0015.jpg

#4 Handyman

DSCN0016.jpg

#5 WW 2 with the plastic wheel

DSCN0017.jpg

A Craftsman #4 in size. Really pretty never used.

DSCN0019.jpg

Got this for $5, no brand name

DSCN0018.jpg

Nice haul, Steve. :thumb: I don't think I've seen a Defiance plane before. Was it more of a home shop product, or intended for pros?

Not sure on the market behind the Defiance line. Maybe Jim will see this and chime in. Figured for $10 couldn't go wrong. Oh that was $10 for a whole box of stuff.

Not sure on the market behind the Defiance line. Maybe Jim will see this and chime in. Figured for $10 couldn't go wrong. Oh that was $10 for a whole box of stuff.

Defiance was Stanley's "Homeowner" line (less expensive) during the 1930s and 40s. Later on, it sorta evolved into the "Handyman" series before being phased out completely somewhere around the late 60's/early 70s.

The original Defiance planes were made in the 1860s/70s, until the company was aquired by the Bailey tool company around 1875. The Defiance line was later pretty much absorbed into the Bailey line-up, with design changes made along the way. Bailey, of course, was later aquired by Stanley, and the Defiance name disappeared until the 1930s 'revival.'

Above info was gleaned from John Walter's Stanley Tools "Guide" circa 1994.

And here I was thinking you were walking around with all that info floating around in your head. :rolleyes: :D...

Don't I wish! :D

Actually, I truly believe in giving credit when it's due. Plagiarizing" ain't right. I sorta knew the skinny on Defiance, but decided to consult the expert to ensure correctness. Wouldn't wanna mislead...:eek:

If you notice the tangs of the two questioned lathe tools, they are tempered to do just as they did... Bend in the face of danger... A harder tang may have transferrer the force to the operator in a more severe manner or perhaps snapped producing a projectile. The tangs can be straightened, best to dislodge from the handle, reheat and forge, then reset in the handle.

Got a good load of Glote Fodder at $10 Your FIL made a decent purchase for you as these are good user quality tools.